The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bang or bust the 2009 hunting season is done and over with.

With ground hog season starting in 5-6 months and deer season starting in 49'ish weeks... What are your guys plans to add or subtract from the heard for this comming year?

·
Registered
435 Posts
good chance I maybe doing some culling, I have put a lot of time and effort into getting some to shoot, they are but has been pretty frustrating. Bottom line is can really only use so many but I still haven't got that thru my head

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I start looking for the new T/C catalog every year around now BUT know it will not be available until Feb or March!!!
After I see what is new for 2010 I will order my .338 Federal barrel(and whatever else catches my eye!!)

Dave

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I plan on delving into the T/C firearms this year. I have my eye on a a few custom barrels and some frames from the custom shop. Can't wait to get out and give them a try!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
So, how accurate is the Pro Hunter/Endeavor rifles? I'm looking to switch to a single shot rifle, and pretty much the only reviews I find are from TC, and am worried about manufacturer bias. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Doogie
All I have to say about T/C and Encores is all good!!!!
I have been using Encores for 5+ years and T/C products for 20+ years!!!
I have not used any of my bolt guns since I bought my first Encore!! If I didn't have 2 sons I would be cleaning out my safe!!
JMHO

Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like a rather strong testimonial. I believe I may be on the right track here.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have never had to fine tune any of my barrels--They were all sub MOA out of the box BUT if you have to there is not much to it. If you happen to get a lemon-T/C stands behind their stuff 100% for life!!!
Do it BUT I must warn you...........Buying T/C Encores is a terrible disease that cannot be cured!!!

Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently acquired a 1st. gen contender. Haven't had much time to shoot it, but I'm practically in love with it. The match grade 22lr barrel is a dream. My christmas present to myself this year is going to be a Pro Hunter. Now if I can only decide which caliber for deer. I've always had a 308, but looking to switch it up a little.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
How about the .257 Roberts for deer-------I would not part with mine!!! It is a tack driver.
Just food for thought!!!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
257 Roberts is a slightly shorter case/steeper neck than the 25-06. They shot the same sized bullets and have similar balistics.

Guys either like the 257 or 25-06, kinda like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.

·
Registered
398 Posts
jon8777 said:
257 Roberts is a slightly shorter case/steeper neck than the 25-06. They shot the same sized bullets and have similar balistics.

Guys either like the 257 or 25-06, kinda like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.
Ballistics are not really close between the quarter bores but both are very good, IMO. I have a 25-06 and my brother has a 257 roberts both do the job. The following is a remington ballistics chart

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuni...RC2506RA*R260R1

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
They say you can get "Bob" real close to the 25-06 with all these new quarter bore loads.
I shoot Federal premium 120gr Nosler Partitions in my .257 and they do the job nicely!!!

Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks all, after all this time, I am now starting to get into looking at ballistic properties, even tinkering w/doing the reloading thing. I'm glad I found this forum, you guys are great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a TC with a 30-30, .222 and .444 Marlin Barrels. I have shot deer with the 30-30 and .444 with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Doogie501 said:
I recently acquired a 1st. gen contender. Haven't had much time to shoot it, but I'm practically in love with it. The match grade 22lr barrel is a dream. My christmas present to myself this year is going to be a Pro Hunter. Now if I can only decide which caliber for deer.

I've always had a 308, but looking to switch it up a little.

I'd say go for about 26" HB in...260Rem. at least if you can reload....can do lots of good things with it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just packaged up the 25-06 to be sent out Monday morning to get a removeable Holland QD style brake & thread protector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts