The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everybody it's that time of year again.Post your shed finds here or anything else interesting you might find while out shedhunting.

I finally started my season last Fri. finding a few then headed back out again on Sunday finding a few more.Most are still packing,but there are sheds on the ground.

Friday's finds.

A couple yard sheds.

The mate to the last one a few yards up.

All 3 from Friday.

Sunday was too cold and wet for ATL's.

Good Luck everybody this new shed season!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
i saw an 8 pt in the field across from my house last night with a half rack fork........ i think ill wait a little longer before looking.... enjoy the pics though, the one looks like its in your back yard

·
Registered
979 Posts
couldnt wait for this thread to start...especially to see how many antlers deershed can find!!! Hopefully Ill be able to head out sometime this week with my dog to see if she can find any!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
That one from your yard looks like he'll be a nice one later this year.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I had deer shedding in my yard.Where those sheds came from had a housing development on the backside of the property..

I saw these deer while driving to another one of my areas.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Went out to the battle fields this weekend with a friend for 3 hours to rummage around. Ended up finding one good shed. But you couldn't walk 5 feet without seeing a new pile of deer turds and you couldn't walk 10 yards without finding a new buck rub. To bad you can't hunt it.

This was pretty big. It ran from my ankles up to my belly button. I'm 6 foot.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Deer shed what is your strategy when shed hunting? Do you primarily work bedding cover or feeding areas?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HammerDown15 said:
Deer shed what is your strategy when shed hunting? Do you primarily work bedding cover or feeding areas?
I cover one to the other and the areas in between.This time of year the buck will either be feeding or bedding,feeding being the number one priority.
Alot of my areas are suburbia deer or farms on the outskirts.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice paddy!!

Dutchhunter I bet that made you day when you spottrd it,Great find!!

I walked for 9 hours today and didn't find a thing the first 6 hours.I did see my first ever coyote early in the day.
Shortly after 2 o'clock I spotted 6 deer feeding and saw there was one full racked buck and a half rack in the bunch.While trying to get a little closer for pics I spot my first shed for the day.

An old Y shed.

The small herd of deer fed for about 5 mins. then started moving my way.That's when I noticed the bigger buck still carrying both sides had a small drop tine on his left side.

One of the other deer I thought was a doe turned out to be a buck that had already dropped.

The 6 deer slowly worked my way then when the led buck the half rack (he'd shed one side) worked past me at 25 yds. ended up busting me.

I searched that area for awhile longer then moved to a different area.In this next area I looked for about another 1 an a half hours before spotting tines.

A real fresh 3pt. side

I laid that shed on a log for a pic of the base showing the base still being wet,then when finished I turned to start walking again and spot more tines.

An old 4pt. side.

Starting to head back out 400yds. from that last shed I spot another one.It's the mate to the nice 3pt. side.

After pics of this shed a 100yds. later another one.A little wierd 3pt. side.

Here it is at home.

Almost back to my jeep and about 200yds. from that last find I spot one more antler for the day.

Here's all my finds for the day.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts