The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
When did they start producing apples for you. Do you remember what variety you planted.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When did they start producing apples for you. Do you remember what variety you planted.

Year 3 started getting a few here and there. Year 5 seems like the magic year as my brother and his neighbor got some the same time as me and that's when we all had a decent amount of apples.

From what I remember, I planted all disease resistant varieties.

Gold Rush
Enterprise
Freedom
Liberty
Galarina
Crimson Topaz
Querina Florina(sp?)

Might have been another variety but can't remember.

On a side note, I planted some European pears from the same nursery in a different orchard and they haven't done squat nor have they grown much. On the other hand, the pear seedlings I got from the game commission in 2011 grow like they are on steroids.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Year 3 started getting a few here and there. Year 5 seems like the magic year as my brother and his neighbor got some the same time as me and that's when we all had a decent amount of apples.

From what I remember, I planted all disease resistant varieties.

Gold Rush
Enterprise
Freedom
Liberty
Galarina
Crimson Topaz
Querina Florina(sp?)

Might have been another variety but can't remember.

On a side note, I planted some European pears from the same nursery in a different orchard and they haven't done squat nor have they grown much. On the other hand, the pear seedlings I got from the game commission in 2011 grow like they are on steroids.
Thanks I planted 48 apple trees two years ago and 44 more this year in six separate tree plots. I used all of the same varieties except for the last one. I did the same as you to try and spread out the maturity of the trees over the length of hunting season. I learned more about root stock than I ever thought I would most of mine are semi dwarf root stock. I pulled the young apples this year on the two year olds. I am hoping for fruit next year. I learned the importance of large cages with my Dunstan Chestnuts. I think I have as much money in the cages and supports as I do in the trees but it is a waste of time without the cages.

Thanks of the information

1 - 8 of 8 Posts