1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduced:

H.R. 45 Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.

Official: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. as introduced.

Short: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 as introduced.

Introduced 1/6/2009

Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license
application, issuance, and renewal requirements.

Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the
Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.

Prohibits:
(1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with
exceptions;

(2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act;

(3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours;

(4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or

(5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.

Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.

Directs the Attorney General to:

(1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse;

(2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and

(3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.

Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Wow....that new president smell... went from bad to worse really fast....didn't it? Are criminals required to register too?

That first line scares me the most...
To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Its gonna get to no private sales on any firearm. All will have to go through dealer. It honestly isn't a bad thing. It will keep the criminal from buying. It also will lead to more gun theft. How many guns have you bought without paperwork? How many criminals have done the same?

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
PADREAM said:
Its gonna get to no private sales on any firearm. All will have to go through dealer. It honestly isn't a bad thing. It will keep the criminal from buying. It also will lead to more gun theft.
Oh give that canard a rest. How many criminals do you really think buy their guns at a gun shop? Really. Criminals don't obey laws. That is what makes them criminals. If passing a law prevented crime, there would be no murders in the USA, right? Isn't murder illegal?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm not talking about a criminal buying a gun at a gun shop. I'm talking about if there was a law in place where a gun has to go through a dealer it will not end up in a criminals hands.... Lots of firearms are sold to criminals by people who don't know their selling to a criminal.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
No, criminals will just pay criminals who don't have a criminal record yet to buy the guns for them... That happens every day. No way to keep guns out of criminal's hands, just ways to keep guns out of law abiding citizen's hands!

The US spent over 20 billion dollars on the war on drugs last year, yet the last I checked we are losing the war badly! You really think if we completely banned all guns, the Chinese and every other low life country out there wouldn't start to manufacture and smuggle into the US cheap guns for sale in the now lucrative firearms black market? You're darn right they would! Hmmm... Well armed criminals and unarmed citizens, boy just the place I wanna live!

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Obviously, PADREAM has not bought a handgun recently, or maybe he is one of those criminals who scoffs at the law. In order to sell any handgun, the transfer has to go through a licensed dealer, and the purchaser is subject to a background check. Once again, criminals don't obey laws, so another law will not stop even one crime.

I assume you have some source of information that will confirm that "lots of firearms are sold to criminals" by people who don't know they are doing so? Please post a link.

Quote: "A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." ~ Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
What does it matter if there are new laws on the selling and purchasing of firearms when the real issue is the possession of ammunition or ammunition componenets. The right to bear arms is not the issue, but the right to have ammunition to shoot from them looks like the "gotcha'".

·
Registered
259 Posts
muttleysgone said:
Obviously, PADREAM has not bought a handgun recently, or maybe he is one of those criminals who scoffs at the law. In order to sell any handgun, the transfer has to go through a licensed dealer, and the purchaser is subject to a background check. Once again, criminals don't obey laws, so another law will not stop even one crime.

I assume you have some source of information that will confirm that "lots of firearms are sold to criminals" by people who don't know they are doing so? Please post a link.

Quote: "A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." ~ Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Lets see this FFl license sitting on the shelf here just might have my name on it. Did I say handgun or firearm...Hmmm What I'm sayin is the 80 yr. old man sittin in his rockin chair decides to sell his rifles and shotguns because he needs coal for the furnace. He doesn't want to go out on these terrible roads , so he calls up The Traders Guide and puts an ad in there. Joe Smoe calls and says I'll take emm. Comes over pays cash an walks away with guns he could not have purchased at gunshop because he broke the law in the past......... End of Story.......

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I stand corrected. I knew all along that you can sell long guns without going through a FFL, but is that the type of weapon of choice for gang bangers in Philadelphia? I am still waiting for a link that confirms that "lots of firearms are sold to criminals" by people who don't know they are doing so.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's a little chesnut for anyone that thinks : reasonable " gun laws are ok. If you require everyone to go through a dealer to transfer a forearm it's the next thing akin to confistcation. They now have a huge database for who owns what. Criminals do not worry about complying with " reasonable " gun laws. Wake up folks,...... write your representatives as we already have thousands of gun laws on the books.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Once again Muttley, we agree!!! This is becoming a regular happening.

HR 45 is a BILL WITH NUMEROUS GUN-CONTROL MEASURES INTRODUCED . . . Legislation (HR 45 - "Blair Holt Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act") sponsored by U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) would mandate numerous gun-control measures if passed. The bill specifically calls for all handgun owners to submit to the federal government a formal application including: photo identification, fingerprints, medical and mental health records and a completed written firearm safety examination. Applicants would also be forced to pay a fee to the federal government.

There is also a new anti-gun bill to be introduced in the Senate that will force ALL owners of any firearm with a DETACHABLE MAGAZINE to obtain a new federal owner's license for each gun and magazine they own. Remember, our (not mine though) pres and vice pres never met an anti-gun bill they didn't like!!!
Just think, 3 weeks into his term and they're at it already. Only 47 more months of this absurdity to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
this act is going to be in place, so the government can take guns away from us. they did the same thing in great brittain and now the people are scared to leave their houses after dark because the rules dont apply to criminals they get their weaponry on the black market. this act is a violation to our rights as americans. im from philly, this should be a good thing but its not. in ted nuggent we trust.

ted is the glue that binds and saves

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Laws like this will make an awful lot of otherwise law-abiding, tax-paying American citizens criminals.

I refuse to be a victim.

And for Padreamer most handguns that trade hands in the criminal element are stolen firearms to begin with or purchased illegally as a straw purchase. No law of registration, or license to purchase or own will prevent a single crime.

If the red flags are not flying for you as a gunowner yet, make an appointment with your Doctor.. If they are flying, make sure you pay your dues to the NRA.

best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Ditto what Glenn said!! Remain vigilant and keep in contact with your legislators.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I guess I'll take a stab at this too.
The only way we're going to make any real progress on any of this is for most of the gun owners to gather at the Potomac and head to Washington and SHUT THE PLACE DOWN.

We keep relying on "Our voice to be heard by the NRA, GOA and other groups but I feel "WE" are the only ones that will make the final say and shut them up for good, or for a while anyway. It's the only thing we've never tried!!
Good luck with any unity other than forums. WE need to make a stand, not a violent one either, but we have to do something and fast or the gun haters surely will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There was a firearms-owners' backlash after Comrad Klinton signed the "1994 Assault Weapons Ban" that put the Democrats in the minority for years.

The leftists in Congress are scratching their heads, and trying to figure out how to tippy-toe a more far-reaching bill without getting burned like last time.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Lon A said:
There was a firearms-owners' backlash after Comrad Klinton signed the "1994 Assault Weapons Ban" that put the Democrats in the minority for years.

The leftists in Congress are scratching their heads, and trying to figure out how to tippy-toe a more far-reaching bill without getting burned like last time.
That was half of the problem the Dems had in '94, the other half was their health care proposal. Just wanted to point that out so we don't get too complacent.

Another thing I was thinking. We are basically preaching to the choir here. We should all try to do some preaching somewhere where it could do some good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts