The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted the Texas plaque the other day and thought while I was in the mood I’d better do my Pa archery buck from this year as well. Changed my mind about using leather, tried felt instead and it was fairly easy to work with. Here goes.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Cool looking plaque - I like this one better than the Texas one (never did like the Cowboys)

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fly Guy said:
Cool looking plaque - I like this one better than the Texas one (never did like the Cowboys)
The use of the Texas plaque should in no way be misconstrued as an endorsement of the Dallas Cowboys. Go Eagles.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
loridr said:
Fly Guy said:
The use of the Texas plaque should in no way be misconstrued as an endorsement of the Dallas Cowboys. Go Eagles.
That may be even worse! Still nice work on the plaques . . . keep us posted on future work.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
very nice.....i was actually looking into a genuine leather cover for a mount that i would love to look exactly like yours. not quite the same plaque though.

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adudeuknow said:
....i was actually looking into a genuine leather cover for a mount that i would love to look exactly like yours. not quite the same plaque though.
Dude,

I used leather on the Texas mount. I bought several swatches at a craft store, one was thin and fairly stretchy which I used on the Texas mount, the other piece was thicker. I tried that piece on the archery mount but didn't have any luck as it wouldn't stretch enough so I ended up using felt. That worked out ok.

I usually use real velvet cloth, it works extremely well. I glue thin foam over the skull plate first, then stretch the velvet over and tack down the edges with Rick-rack and upholstery tacks. I sew the seams in back of the horns with thread.

Here are a few examples; the ones with the tacks are velvet.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I like the variety.Very nice work.I remember at one time having 20 odd sets of antlers mounted and hanging in my "den" and they were all EXACTLY THE SAME SHAPE...I remember going to the store to buy a new one every year and the most difficult choice there was to make was red felt or green felt.I was proud of my antlers,but it sure was boring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts