The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a picatinny or weaver scope mount for my savage model 10 fp. What does a rail that is adjusted for 20 MOA (or any MOA) actually do for you? I am under the impression that it gives the sciope more adjustable range for longer shots. Is this correct?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
it effectively starts your aim point a little lower so that you start your 100 or 200 yard zero at a lower elevation thus giving you additional upper limit adjustment on your scope when making calculated long range shots.

with a 20MOA rail on a 22LR, you can reach out to 400ish yards with some scopes and some folks are reliably hitting 8" plates that far out.

20MOA adds about 80 additional clicks of elevation to your 100 yard target with a 1/4MOA or 1/4" scope.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, that makes sense. So, if it gives more upper limit, does it then in turn limit your lower range in any way (sorry for the stupid questions, but I honestly don't know)?

I have a Savage 10fp that I have had sitting in my safe for nearly a decade. I have recently been introduce to long range shooting, and I am wanting to try it on a budget. I have an aftermarket stock, and I am putting a 8.5 to 25 X 50 scope on it. I plan on shooting mostly 1 to 300 yards, but if the opportunity ever presented itself, I'd ike to try further yardages somewhere down the lin. If you don't mind me picking your brain, what would you guys suggest I get to mount my scope? Also, do I need to spend big bucks? Is there a certain brand or style that is more suggestable?

Thanks in advance for your advice and time!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Depending on how much internal adjustment is built into your scope you may not need one. Based on what you said I'm guessing your scope is a Leupold VX-III LR, if so that's what I have on my 10fp and haven't had the need for the canted base shooting to a hair over 600 yards so far. If your scope does not have a lot of internal adjustment built into it you may not be able to zero it at 100 yards if that is something that would bother you.

For what it's worth on the Savage I'm piecing together now I bought an EGW 20 MOA base and it seems like a nice piece, I also use one on my 300 Ultra and it is holding up nicely.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
could be that BSA too, or the Barska. What scope you using SA?

if i were going to be punching LONG range, in the affordable limits, go with bushnell elite, Hawke Frontier, SuperSniper, raid the list at SWFA.com and check out thier Sample List. See if anything jumps out at you.

what caliber is your rifle? .308? how long is your range? how far do you ANTICIPATE shooting? is your rifle up to the task? before you need that 20MOA rail, you'll need a handload that stamps a cloverleaf at 100 or better IMO. not to say it can't be done on the cheap. read my thread about the Marlin X_7 rifles...

·
Registered
485 Posts
watch when adding a 20 minute rail. i mounted one on my savage ft/r rifle and i can only get approx 20" high at 300 when scope is adjusted to the lowest point but i have plenty of clicks to handle 1000 yards.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
again...depends on the scope and the desired ballistics of the intended purpose

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about that, my rifle is a .308. I am intending on 300 yards max in the immediate future (I belong to a gun club with a 300 yd. range now). I bought a sightmark triple duty 8.5-25X50 for now. My plan is to upgrade scopes, and increase yardage down the line. I have leupold bases, and was looking at the leupold standard rings for this. I read somewhere that leupold standard bases give 20 moa. I don't think recoil will be an issue, and I am hoping that they will do the trick for me (and my budget).

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
given the ballistics of the .308 and your intended max range of 300 yards you will never make use of that angled base. You could probably reach out to 600 and still never need it...

If you are sighted zero at 200, your average change in elevation is as follows:

100 yds, +1.9 inches or approx -8 clicks (south) to correct(1/4" per click)
200 - zero
300, -6.5" = +9 clicks (north) approx
400, -18" = + 18 clicks (this range is easy

500, -38" = +30 clicks and most scopes start to run out of clicks here and getting to 600 using your turrets is difficult. Get a mildot and learn it, it will give you additional holdover and it's fairly effective.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Jaydawg. I am a newbie, and this helps a lot. I was wondering about ballistics, and where to start. I guess I need to start doing some reading. Any suggestions on this (webistes, books, magazines, ezines)?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
depends. alot of book knowledge will only take you so far. you should get enrolled with some good training on HOW TO SHOOT...i thought I knew how until i got a bit of real training. my groups tightened right up and I was more consistent.

there are other sites out there that focus on this aspect of shooting, PM me and I'll give you some of the sites I know of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts