The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas on a short 20 Gauge slug gun for hunting the thick stuff. I want it short with a synthetic stock. Have the itch to carry a slug gun on some drives.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I set up an 870 youth for my turkey gun. It DESTROYS turkeys. Put on a ShurShot stock, a patriot sear spring, polished the barrel had it drilled and tapped. She weighs a shade over 5 pounds and is a dream to carry for long hunts and is very nimble in the hand. I wanted tonrun her for deer in NY too, so I picked up a fully rifled slug barrel for her and with 285 grain sabots she is lights out to 150 yards and only gained a few ounces due to the thicker barrel wall.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a mossberg bantam set up with a red dot scope. Even added weight to the stock to absorb recoil but it can easily be removed. Gun is less than a year old. PM me if your interested I may be willing to part with it.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
[quyouote=runningdeer]savage 220F [/quote]

If you want an accurate slug gun you want the 220F.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info........Did not think of the youth models!!!
Dave

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not crazy about how the magazine protrudes on the Savage otherwise it looks very nice!!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Since you have a reference to T/C in your posts - why not a 20 guage barrel for the Encore. I have one for mine and love it - very accurate and easy to shoot and in the Encore form is lightweight and compact so easy to carry and to shoot quickly.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
DCabets28 said:
I am not crazy about how the magazine protrudes on the Savage otherwise it looks very nice!!!!
I find the magazine is it's one fault. It is plastic and you have to be careful how you load it to get it into the gun.....BUT.....it is accurate.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
They make a youth model 220F. The stock is about 1 or 1.5" shorter than the standard model. Everything else seems the same.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
huntin-nut said:
Since you have a reference to T/C in your posts - why not a 20 guage barrel for the Encore. I have one for mine and love it - very accurate and easy to shoot and in the Encore form is lightweight and compact so easy to carry and to shoot quickly.
This. The ONLY turkey gun I own that's lighter than my 870 20 gauge is my TC Prohunter 20 gauge. Mount a small red dot or lightweight optic and you'd have a nice light, nimble hunter. Only drawback would be reloading in heavy cover with the single shot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I will second the H&R ultra slug option. It is not super light but is super accurate. At 100 yards with federal barnes expander or lightfield slugs it will put 3 into one big hole if I do my part. They are not very expensive and if you already have an H&R centerfire you can send the receiver in and have the slug barrel added.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Remington 870, Hastings barrel, Rottweil Laser Plus sabots, add a reasonable quality scope / rings. Send it to DA-Mar Gunsmithing in NY & have Dave pin the barrel & slick up the trigger. If you do your part it will shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone own a Remington 870 Express compact with a 20 guage rifled barrel??
This is on my short list. I am going to Cabela's Monday and hope they have one there I can hold!!
Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
cmc5028 said:
youth gun and slugs sounds like a recipe for a bruised shoulder.
1/2, 5/8 even 3/4 oz slugs are no prob to shoot out of a 20 gauge. He said he was gonna use it for close shooting you don't need max loads unless your blasted throught thick brush which prob isn't a good idea anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts