The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
They are fine within range (out to 30 yards). Serious 20 gaugeors will opt for the heavier than steel (most expensive) loads. Shot a lot of ducks with a 20 but that was in the lead shot days.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It'll work, might need to keep shots a little closer with steel. That hevishot can reach out quite a ways but pattern density would be less with the 20. Those fast flying ducks are pretty hard for me to hit anyway much past 35-40 yds, probably true for a few other folks as well. But then again I never professed to be an expert scattergun shot either.

·
Banned
851 Posts
My opinion is that a 12 would be better but a 20 is fine. My dad used his 20 gauge SxS Savage Fox with 26 inch barrels choked IC and Mod for wood ducks for years when he was just getting into it. That was right after steel was mandatory I believe. He did well with 3 inch #4 steel. As long as the shots were within reason. I would say 4's would be your best bet with the 20 due to the lighter payloads.

Don't let people fool you, you don't NEED hevi shot.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You might want to try Kent shells. They have a load of # 3's going 1550fps. It will kill any duck out to 40 yards easily. I use a load just like that only in a 16 gauge (3 shot) and have kill Geese with 2 shot. Great load. 3s will give you 139 pellets and 2s will have 108 pellets.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My wife uses a 20 guage for ducks and geese and I don't see any problems with it on the shots we normally take. There is a half hevishot half steel load, called hevi-metal. It really thumps them, but often times she just shoots steel 2s for geese and 2s or 4s for ducks and those work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.