The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering purchasing a 20 ga. Benelli Turkey edition for $2,500+- Should produce great results right?

Before I could lay out that kind of $$ I needed to know how much better they are than my (2) cheap 20 ga(s).

I called Benelli and they told me the turkey edition is their M2 field gun sent to a third party and enhanced for better patterns by the installation of a Burris Fast Fire 3 red dot and they will send 40 Yd. test groups for 10", 20" and 30" circles with the gun I purchase for $2,500+-.

The Benelli tech group was unable to tell me what an average destiny group would be and they did not know what ammo and shot size was used for testing. I found this very strange. Whereas if I were running a company and outsourcing to a third party I not only would be total knowledgeable of my end product and it performance I would also set and verify the standards. However they were kind enough to put me in touch with the third party company which was very helpful.

I was informed by the third party they test with Federal 7's and their average group is 134 pellets in a 10" group at 40 Yds.

I was very appreciated of that information where as it saved me the $2,500 big ones and the information makes me feel very happy with my 2 ga(s). costing less than $300 and providing pellet counts of 150-160 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

I am not saying the Benelli is not a good gun. Heck probably does not rattle like my two pumps. However there does not appear to be improvement in the area I was hoping for to convince me to change.

Who knows maybe I would have gotten one that far out performs my current 20 gs(s), but I am not a gambler.....

Perhaps others are very happy with a semi, solid, light weight and very dependable 20 ga. turkey gun whereas 134 is good for a 20, but $2,500 would provide a lot of sights and testing with chokes and ammo for a $300 gun.

My point is that it pays to research information from those who know rather than just asking what everyone else uses or getting excited over an ad like I was.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
From what I have seen with the special Waterfowl and turkey edition gun from Benelli they basically are doing the leg work and charging you for it. You can pick up a used Benelli most of the times and tailor them to a turkey or waterfowl gun of your liking. Adding the scope or red dot, and the right choke tube combo on your own saves you some serious cash. In my opinion the $2,500 price tag isn't worth it. I love my Benellis, I have one for waterfowl and one set up for Turkey. I didnt pay $2500 for both guns combined. Its all personal preference though. Your $300 pump gun will kill just as many turkeys as any Benelli or other high end gun.

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
They make a fine gun...no question about it...

But for entirely less money you can setup a gun and throw much better patterns very easily..

Getting. Turkey patterns isn't difficult...it doesn't take technical skills..you don't have to handload..

But...sure they sell a few of them...

For that price at Hough you've out priced the weekend warrior types...and the die hards know better...

·
Registered
69 Posts
My sbe2 loves mag blends out of a jellyhead choke! That gun will eat all day long out to way farther than i need to shoot. Buy a used benelli and try different chokes and loads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Used Youth 870/Mossberg 500/etc
.555 Indian Creek choke
#9 TSS (about $100-150 to get all the equipment)
Maybe 2 hrs of your time per year handloading the shells

>>>>> any $2500 "turkey" gun.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on here you can't kill a turkey with a rattle trap Mossberg? You better buy that benelli if you ever want to punch a tag.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You should look at the new Weathersby's SA-459. I just bought 2 of them for 600.00 each. I know the guys on the old gobbler forum are putting up numbers from 160-196 in the 10 at 40. With the federal heviweight #7 shot. Gun somes with a 22" barrel dressed in full camo and a pistol grip stock

Sumtoy .562 is the choke of choice. I just ordered one of the chokes ad will be doing some shooting when it arrives.

I started loading the TSS this year. Guys on the other sites are putting 300-400 in the 10 at 40. I had my doubts about shooting #9 shot, but I watched 9 long beards die this spring out to 47 yds with it..

·
Registered
312 Posts
MOA_Chaser said:
Used Youth 870/Mossberg 500/etc
.555 Indian Creek choke
#9 TSS (about $100-150 to get all the equipment)
Maybe 2 hrs of your time per year handloading the shells

>>>>> any $2500 "turkey" gun.
What he said
What he said
What he said

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
I am currently checking on info as my daughter wants a 20 gauge to hunt with. Fullfan is right about the pellet counts and the info he suggested. The guys on that site really dig into the 20 gauge deep. Also they discuss places where to get your guns dipped with some awesome camo patterns. Check it out.

·
Registered
21,018 Posts
I have two 20 ga shotguns set up for turkey.One is a TRI star and the other in a Franchi affinity,which is made by benelli.I put true glo fiber optics on the tri star because it shot a few inches to the left.The Franchi just has a bead.I put tru lock choke tubes in both that are designed for fed #7 heavy weight.Other than that,both guns are stock.They both shoot almost exactly the same patterns.I never counted the number of hits in a 10" circle because I don't care how many hits there are.At 40 yards they pepper the head and neck of a turkey target with a nice even pattern that's probably 18" in diameter.Most of the bitds we kill are under 35 yards but we've killed one at 46 yards and another at exactly 53 yards,stone dead.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
bigbear said:
I thought I read somewhere on here you can't kill a turkey with a rattle trap Mossberg? You better buy that benelli if you ever want to punch a tag.
I've owned both Sbe 2 benelli and mossberg Super Waterfowler and 500s and now the 535 with a Hastings .640 choke shooting number 6s 3 inch mags...ive been killing turkeys for 40 years and love the mossberg..once. killed a 23lb gobbler at 56 yards with moss 500 .640 and number 6s...only reason I shot I knew my limitations with that 500 it shot out to 60 yards with that combo ,this day the 535,I carry is also a shooter but wouldn't shoot over 50 with it..I don't own the sbe 2 anymore...Great gun...light fast....just didn't like it after 3 years...sold it and bought 2 more mossberg...love the solid feeling of a mossberg...I have a mossberg auto also I rebuilt it a few years back its a shooter...between the 3 mossbergs,I've killed quite a few birds from 10 yards to 56 yards...they can hang with any shotgun out their with the correct combo...just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Honkers51 said:
bigbear said:
I've owned both Sbe 2 benelli and mossberg Super Waterfowler and 500s and now the 535 with a Hastings .640 choke shooting number 6s 3 inch mags...ive been killing turkeys for 40 years and love the mossberg..once. killed a 23lb gobbler at 56 yards with moss 500 .640 and number 6s...only reason I shot I knew my limitations with that 500 it shot out to 60 yards with that combo ,this day the 535,I carry is also a shooter but wouldn't shoot over 50 with it..I don't own the sbe 2 anymore...Great gun...light fast....just didn't like it after 3 years...sold it and bought 2 more mossberg...love the solid feeling of a mossberg...I have a mossberg auto also I rebuilt it a few years back its a shooter...between the 3 mossbergs,I've killed quite a few birds from 10 yards to 56 yards...they can hang with any shotgun out their with the correct combo...just my 2 cents.
I agree

My 30 year old Mossberg 500 has 50+ turkeys under it's belt. The farthest one was at 52 yards and has killed a lot at 40 yards. I am now using a newer Mossberg 500 and am shooting the Longbeards out of it, it throws a heck of a pattern at 40 yards didn't try 50 yards yet, was running out of shells. lol Plus they kick like a mule lol

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Honkers51 said:
bigbear said:
I guess I should have put a sarcasm emoticon in my post. The last 21 longbeards I've killed haven't much cared they were shot with a Mossberg. I switched to a 500 super bantam 20 gauge this year. What a dream to run and gun in the mountains with.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Ah I'm just making a point that you don't need to spend 2,000 dollars on a shotgun when you can spend less money and with the right shot and choke you can get just as good or better patterns then some of the higher end guns...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Basically, with the right, choke, load, shotgun combo, you can outshoot any other combo. Just depends on if you're willing to spend the time and money to do it. When Rob Robert's does his thing to the performance shop benellis, he's not trying to build a 60 yard turkey killing gun with a mega dense core pattern. His goal is to provide an even, consistent, forgiving, Turkey killing pattern out to 40 yards, that hits where you aim. And that's what you'll get, every time. It might not shoot a super hot pattern, but there will be room for error, the gun will shoot to point of aim, weather, dirty gun, clean gun, etc. Won't effect the pattern. It's not all just about how many pellets you can get in a 10" circle. So, depending on what your goals are, and how much of your own time and money you want to invest, that gun may very well be worth it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Moss said:
Honkers51 said:
bigbear said:
I agree

My 30 year old Mossberg 500 has 50+ turkeys under it's belt. The farthest one was at 52 yards and has killed a lot at 40 yards. I am now using a newer Mossberg 500 and am shooting the Longbeards out of it, it throws a heck of a pattern at 40 yards didn't try 50 yards yet, was running out of shells. lol Plus they kick like a mule lol
Moss....do what I did it calms them down,by pulling the butt pad off and filling the stock with foam insulation...worked for me ,but messy.Rusty

·
Registered
436 Posts
"His goal is to provide an even, consistent, forgiving, Turkey killing pattern out to 40 yards, that hits where you aim. And that's what you'll get, every time.... So, depending on what your goals are, and how much of your own time and money you want to invest, that gun may very well be worth it."

you can get an 'even, consistent, forgiving, Turkey killing pattern out to 40 yards, that hits where you aim every time' from a Mossberg 500 for a fraction of the cost. if you want a $2500 Benelli to say you have a $2500 Benelli then by all means, be my guest, but to say that a $2500 gun is 'well worth it' to knock down gobblers at 40 yards is a *bit* of an overreach. good quality guns come far cheaper, and finding a good patterning load for it aint exactly rocket science...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Fullfan said:
I started loading the TSS this year. Guys on the other sites are putting 300-400 in the 10 at 40. I had my doubts about shooting #9 shot, but I watched 9 long beards die this spring out to 47 yds with it..
Have seen one drop dead at 55 with TSS. Not advocating it, just saying I saw it.

Born2Hunt, with respect to the shot density, Fullfan is right and I have personally seen 374 in the 10 ring at 40. Loading the TSS is very straightforward, easy and not time consuming. There are tutorials on other websites to help. It will cost you nearly $7 per shell to handload, but if you were willing to go $2500 for a rig, I am guessing the cost per shell is not a burden. To each his own, but you can set up any number of the plain jane 20 gage pumps, spend under $650 (FFIII red dot and choke included) and not take a back seat in performance.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Bought a 20 for my girls to shoot turkeys. I have shot my last 2 with it fed heavyweight 7's. Last years was about 46 yards. This years was about 30 I saw my wad hit the gobbler and go straight up in the air. I sold my browning auto gold 3.5 after last season won't ever carry a 3.5" 12 gauge again.
Ordered TSS over the winter and everything I needed to load them. Just haven't had time to put any together yet. But I had a few fed 7's left.
The 20 gauge with all the technology in shot shells will do very well to 50 yards now.
I remember the days of being happy with 9 hits in a head and neck target at 40 yards lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts