The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 20 ga 870 youth for a real good deal and decided to retire the 12 that I own and dislike. For anyone wondering if a 20 is enough for your kid or if you are tired of dinking around with a long bbl and heavy gun in a blind, this seems to work pretty well.

Specs. 870 20 ga Ute, Phoenix Tech stock (33.00 optics planet) a Mesa Tactical adapter (870 12 ga stock to 20ga receiver 23.00 OP) and Tru Glow gobble stopper choke tube and FO sight combo, (30)Bushnell TRS-25 red dot (56, Amazon) Aimtech saddle mount (45,Amazon)

Put it together w/o a scope. The Tru Glow sights that came with the choke were non adjustable and the price of adj sights was more than the scope, sooo.
I tried Nitro turkey and they were OK, I would say good for 35 yards. Then I got some Longbeard XR. Results as follows. I did move the pattern left, but this should give you an idea.

Now, if I can get the birds to get on the same side of the valley I am on, I will post a real world example :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: Six-Gun

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Good deal look at your targets move your sight to the left after the season theres a lot of shot going to the right. :turkey_track:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
We all went to the 20's several years ago. Our 12 's have all been retired. The 20's we have are more lethal with TSS and will out pattern our 12's with factory non TSS loads all day long. I have watched 7 die from the 20's this spring from 15 out to 41 yds. We running a Mossberg bantam, Winchester x3-long beard and a Weatherby Sa459. You will love hauling that lil gun around. Nice rig...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I’ve killed 6 birds now with a 20 gauge and TSS, from 25 yards to well over 50. I’d say there’s a good chance my 12s will never hunt again.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I haven't had any desire to carry a 12 gauge since I started carrying a 20. I've been using federal heavyweight #7's but will switch to TSS when my supply runs out.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
I started using a 20 this year it patterns great with the Hevi shot 7’s didn’t kill anything with it yet but I hope I do this spring. I’m going to use the TSS 9’s by next year though

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good deal look at your targets move your sight to the left after the season theres a lot of shot going to the right. :turkey_track:
Moved it already, :cool: near the end of the text. Post season I will firm it up but I posted the shot patterns for ref.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Knocked down the last 8 with the 20 gauge! No need to carry that cumbersome 3.5, 12 gauge anymore!
Gonna order me another. Going to go with the Winchester sx4 this time.

Have a franchi 20 with a sumtoy. 562. It shoots everything well. I bought that for the girls but have been carrying it. Gonna get one of my own!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other thing. If you are small enough to use that kids stock, it would be even nicer to carry. Just a thought. Using the rib mounted sights I added a inch to the stock, With the scope I can get it up to my face with the stock collapsed.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
I haven't taken any of my 12 ga. turkey guns out in the last 10 years....The 20 brings them home without all the carry weight and excess recoil.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
And to take it one step farther, TSS with the right choke in a 410 is lethal out to 35 yards. I have a single shot 410 that folds in half and fits in the pouch on my back.
Savage has a new shotgun in .410 that is setup for turkey. I think the model is 301 and I have seen it advertised for . I have thought about getting one although I may get it in 20 gauge. Don't think they are out yet, but are new this year. MSRP is $199 so I would guess that actual price should be a little less than that. Already comes with a extra full choke and is supposed to be optimized for TSS loads. Also comes with a rail to mount a red dot or scope. .410 is 5 pounds and 20 gauge is 6 lb.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
And to take it one step farther, TSS with the right choke in a 410 is lethal out to 35 yards. I have a single shot 410 that folds in half and fits in the pouch on my back.
That would be the trick if one is hunting from a trail bike and backing out a big gobbler.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I’ve killed 6 birds now with a 20 gauge and TSS, from 25 yards to well over 50. I’d say there’s a good chance my 12s will never hunt again.
I know I was surprised when I shot a gobbler last year with the 20 gauge and Fed Heavyweight at 40 yards and it about took its head off. I bought some TSS this year and we will be using it next year as we only have a couple Fed Heavyweights left.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
I too might grade up to the TSS #9's; however, I bought a few boxes of Fed's when I heard they were no longer going to be sold.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I too might grade up to the TSS #9's; however, I bought a few boxes of Fed's when I heard they were no longer going to be sold.
Rogers SPorting goods online still has some of the old Fed Heavys left for sale. THey are pretty cheap at $15 +- per box

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Rogers SPorting goods online still has some of the old Fed Heavys left for sale. THey are pretty cheap at $15 +- per box
They only have #6 shot in 20 gauge...…………...it's just not the same monster as the #7's

1 - 20 of 22 Posts