The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys lets see what you suggest. You only have 20 bucks to survive 5 days in a remote area. What do you buy to take with. You have boots and a sleeping bag what else do you buy or bring.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Assuming I get my pocket knife since its already always on me. Small metal pot, tarp, small pack of hooks and small roll of cheap fishing line

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok we get a pocket knive too. MY list would be a small tarp. a 20oz bottle of water. A cheap cig lighter. A bag of trail mix with dried fruit. and two or three cans of kipper snacks smoked herring. depending on how much money I had left.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
A lot of unknows in your original post. If I had my sleeping bag I would also have my camp/ survival pack. I would probobly buy some food

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
metal can of beans, 3 pack of bic lighters, roll of 550 cord, fish hooks, and fishing line. I might even have some money left.

I could use the metal can for a water/food pot after I eat the beans inside.

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
Assuming we are in a forested area, I can make a water proof shelter, start a fire, cook on a stick, Perhaps some kind of cooking vessel. Assuming water is available to boil,

some sort of cordage or mono to make a snare or net.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
one 6 x 8 tarp $3.00
four cans of spam $12.00
one six pack beer $5.00

A beer for each night and one for the way out after rescue, LOL!

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
one 6 x 8 tarp $3.00
four cans of spam $12.00
one six pack beer $5.00

A beer for each night and one for the way out after rescue, LOL!
$5.00 for a six pack of beer?...dang where are you getting your 6 packs at...id like to know for that price haha...the cheapest i have seen was $6.00 for a 6 pack of lager bottles at pat reeders in potter county...when the bartender said 6 dollars i was like are you forreal? lol used to buying 6 packs for 8 or 9 bucks.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well I would already have my knife and I would buy some fishing line,A canteen,duct tape,lighters,blue powerade,hooks,a duke 120 trap,small pocket knife sharpener.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
How do we have time to shop but not grab the gear we already have.

Where are we shopping??

To many questions. I love a good survival scene but we need more lead up

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well id bring a gun, either a Taurus judge or a .22 pistol with some ammo, a tarp and a knife,some rope and duct tape. always have my p38 can opener on my keyring,wrap an extra shirt and pants and socks in my sleeping bag. and id probably grab my flint n steel set w/ charcloth.
With the $20 id buy....a couple gals of water, a 4 pack of TP for various uses, some canned goods like ravioli or hash, a flashlight with extra batteries, some ramen noodles, some trail mix or nuts and whatever else i could grab with the leftover change from the Walmart or Dollar Tree....

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
On $20 for five days, I'd have a small bag of grits. No sugar, no milk, no cheese. just plain cooked grits for five days.

Of course, a 285 lb. modern man would have a tough time surviving.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
4 Victor rat Traps, some cheap peanut butter, 6x8 tarp, some nylon cord, fishline, fish hooks, 3 Bic type lighters, metal cup, remainder on hard candy

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
How do we have time to shop but not grab the gear we already have.
And how do we know we'll be rescued in five days?

That's not "wilderness survival", it's a planned camping trip.

As for the original question, to survive for five days, too many are placing too much emphasis on food. For five days and constrained by limited funds/resources, I'll eat off of the land, or just go hungry.

My money goes towards shelter, water and fire, all more important than food.

I'll come out of the woods hungry and a few pounds lighter
, while others die a contented death on a full stomach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts