The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am looking to get some 2-way radios for hunting next year since my son will be hunting on his own. Down at camp in SE Ohio cell coverage is spotty at best. Looking for something with good range and also something that we could alert quietly. Anyone have any recommendations? or one's to avoid?

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Craig,If your looking for a good but inexpensive Two-Way, we use and like... Motorola TalkAbout T5820....They have 22 channels to choose, which makes it easier to find a channel that no one but you are on, so they will reach out with no breakups. and the great thing about these are they can be put on vibrate mode, and that is why we decided on them, also they were less than 30 bucks for a pair on E-Bay, plus they are small and fit nicely in your shirt pocket so you can feel it vibrate.. Our whole crew got the same ones so we all know what`s going on. We have the ones that take regular batteries, we don't like the rechargeable ones....

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered a pair of Midlands tonight as I had a gift card for Cabelas. THey have a silent alert and I also got the ear bud with a whisper PTT. Hopefully they should fit the bill.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I ordered a pair of Midlands tonight as I had a gift card for Cabelas. THey have a silent alert and I also got the ear bud with a whisper PTT. Hopefully they should fit the bill.
Did you get a chance to test out those Midlands? I'm thinking on a set of radios and since I will no longer by hunting clothes at Cabelas I figure I can use what's left of my points on some radios.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get a chance to test out those Midlands? I'm thinking on a set of radios and since I will no longer by hunting clothes at Cabelas I figure I can use what's left of my points on some radios.
We really haven't put them to much of a test. Probably will in spring gobbler.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
First off let me say, I HATE 2 WAY RADIO, but I carry one. I only use it after hunting hours or a hunter hasn't showed up after a drive. Even then if I have cell phone service I use text if possible.
It's a long story but I figure it may have cost me the buck of a life time one time. If you're going to use them, have rules when, and buy the best you can afford.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
714 Posts
What kinda range are you getting in what type of terrain/cover? I'm really hoping to find something that can legitimately get 2-3 miles in PA woods.
I normally hunt with a friend on the same general mountain so we are not two mountains apart where one could be blocking the capability. We are both 3/4 of the way up a ridge about a mile apart.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have Midland radios, Last pair, I spent a few bucks extra got the better ones. Only use them at camp cause we use phones at home. Just remember to take them out of your coat before you wash them.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Range depends entirely on the terrain. My friend and I have been lass than 1/2 mile apart but around the point of the mountain and can't talk to each other. Several times we call someone who is up higher and they will relay a message. Same radios in Colorado or over water have great range. The camp I hunt at has gone almost entirely to cell phones.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Our coyote hunting group switched over to marine band radios. Big difference in range
I guess this is pretty common? Just curious as I had been tempted to use marine band but the (slim?) chance of the 10K FCC fine was a deterrent. I was able to find a couple of cases where hunters were busted.

The lower FM frequencies used in the marine band do penetrate foliage better than the higher frequencies used by FRS\GMRS radios plus have the benefit of higher wattage. MURS is a legal lower FM frequency option, but I can't find any "weatherproof" options to purchase.
HAM is a lower FM option, but none of my hunting buddies have a HAM license.
We just use the Midland "extra talk GTX" on the higher power GMRS only channels, but on longer drives in rugged terrain the signal can be hit or miss. At least it works (slightly) better than the lower power FRS channels. I also put a mobile GMRS in my truck during hunting season and it reaches out a bit farther with the better antenna on the roof (or of you need a base station at camp).
FCC changed the rules a year or two ago and you now do not need to pay $ and get a license to use the GMRS channels on these and similar wally-world bubble pack radios (if you ever bothered to read the fine print on the last page of the instruction book LOL).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts