The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend from college wanted a pickeroon for his work at an adventure camp so I made him one. I folded a RR clip and forge welded it together then I used an axe drift I made from a truck axle to form the eye for the hickory handle I made for it.

Then I made a little hunting knife out of a coil spring. I have a bunch of hickory laying around now from the pickeroon project so I used that for the handle. I finished it with a couple of coats of BLO.

The second knife is a tanto style knife I made for a friend. This was also out of a coil spring. I used some walnut for the handle and again finished with BLO. I made the handle a different shape and its actually really comfortable and I think it fits the style of the knife well.

These were knives #'s 3 & 4 for me. I need to order some finer grit belts for my 2x72 grinder. The highest I have is 120 and then trying to hand sand them fine after wards is a chore and doesn't get all of the marks out. The tanto I had started before I had built my 2x72 and I used a 36 grit belt on my 4x36 wood sander and it left some super deep marks that I couldnt grind out without making the blade super thin. Lesson learned haha.

I wish I could devote more time to forging but I only get about 5 or so hours in a week weather permitting. I have an 18 month old son and my wife is having a daughter in 1 month so I have a feeling my forging/knifemaking time is going to be severely diminished haha. My next projects are socketed chisels. I forged a bickern for my anvil so now I want to repair a bunch of old ones I've picked up for cheap and hopefully forge some of my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
5 hrs a week in the forge is enuff to you in buildable blades for a looong time...:)
Check out Phoenix Abrasives for good prices on quality belts.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I like the pickaroon. Nice job.
The swell knob on the end of the handle will prevent slipping from hand. Nice design.

I suggest you drill a hole in the eye. Then pound in a roll pin, flush.
Pickaroon is used for lifting and pulling.
Hence, you are pulling away from head. Head will loosen with use.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The swell knob on the end of the handle will prevent slipping from hand. Nice design.

Real nice job

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

When I made my axe drift I gave it a taper so that on the bottom of the eye on the pickeroon, there is a 1/16 inch taper on each side to the top with the top being the wider part. I actively tried to break it for about half an hour on my wood pile and it didn't come loose. Although I imagine over time with enough use the wood fibers will compact and tear enough that it could.

If I put 1 roll pin in wouldn't that just basically make a pivot point so that if the head did come loose it would just pivot on that 1 point from front to back? So would 2 roll pins better to take away that pivot point?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
burninghxcsoul, first, I'm not a knife or axe maker.
Pickaroons I've used have ONE roll pick.
My comment was a suggestion. Am not splitting hairs or debating.

I do like your pickaroon. Good work & pictures.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Very nice. I second Phoenix abrasives Birdog turned me onto them and great customer service and very prompt shipping

Ross

1 - 8 of 8 Posts