The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you older fellows have trouble sleeping?
I can fall asleep but only for 4 or less hours! Then after about 4 hours i am tired again ! I set down and can fall back asleep .
I sure slept a lot better when i was younger.
It seems like this sleep pattern came over me when i was in my mid 50s and has just gotten worse. In hunting season i am always up to make sure the crew doesn't sleep in and have coffee and food ready?
I don't care to take a sleep aid of any kind! Hear folks saying how groogie these make you feel?
Any of you older guys have this going on with your sleeping ?????

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I remember when I was young my grandfather would be up to about 10pm then go to bed but his lights would be on again around 2am and he was up. He would then take a nap in the afternoon. My uncle is the same way. He says when you get older you just dont sleep as much. As for me I sleep ok.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Yes, especially if I haven't gotten a lot of physical activity in the day. So I try to do something every day the stress the mussels and especially the pump. If I don't have some sort of home project then I lift weights at home or visit the nearby Planet Fitness. If that isn't attractive, then I take the bike (bicycle) for as many miles as I feel like. The best sleep aid though is to take the .222 out for a walk and stalk evening of woodchuck sniping. As a last resort I make a cup of decaff tea and add 2 fingers of bourbon (no sugar) and sip this on the back porch.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Try taking melatonin. Its all natural and won't make you feel like a zombie in the morning.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Since I started dialysis I have trouble sleeping, sitting in that chair for 4 hours plus is partly the culprit , then when I am finished I am wiped out and come home and take a nap. The following day still tired, I take a sleeping pill, a melatonin and a Xaanex and still cant sleep. Lack of physical has a lot to do with it also, I am 76....didn't have this problem when I was younger..

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
I feel your pain. I can never sleep regularly. Mine is due to working rotating shifts though. This week I am on midnights and they are the ones that really get me. I doubt I'll ever get used to them. I get home at 5am and go straight to sleep. Can't ever sleep past 9-930am an then I'm up. Walk around like a zombie that week each month. Afternoon and morning shift don't bother me much, but I'm screwed up with these midnight for a few days after I get off them.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I can relate what's helped me in the past. I have NEVER been able to maintain a regular sleep pattern. Either I can't fall asleep or I wake up in the middle of the night.

If I wake in the middle of the night, the best thing I can do is to maintain darkness, don't turn the light on, and close my eyes. If you turn on the lights and get up, your body thinks its wake up time and it gets harder and harder to fall back asleep, especially if your mind starts to freak out thinking "I need to get back to sleep!". Even if I lay there for a few hours, awake, but in the dark, I am far more rested the next day than if I got up and started goofing around.

I'm in my mid-40s w/a 6 and an 8 year old. In the past 10 years I can count on one hand w/fingers left over how many opportunities I've had to take a nap in the daytime, it's just not an option for me, so whatever rest I get has to come at night or I do without!

Melatonin can help, it's natural and doesn't leave you groggy the next day. They aren't knock-out pills, they simply provide a little extra help falling and staying asleep. But you can't take it every day for months/years on end, your body builds up a tolerance to it. So if you use melatonin, don't take it every night.

If part of your sleep problem is stress related, mind going a mile a minute, melatonin ain't gonna help that much, need to get rid of the stressors first.

Best of luck, sleep problems stink!

BH

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Kudu,

I had to deal with a rotational day/swing/mid or day/night 12 hours cycle at a few military assignments.

You got to do stuff after your mid shift. Going to bed right after is just like going to bed at 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. after a day shift. And then makes for a long period awake before you even get to work.

You need to come up with a 24 hour schedule cycle that equates to a day shift rotation, and slide the whole thing 8 hours for swings, then 8 more for mids. Or 12 hours for day/night.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I used to hate rotating shifts. I never minded working midnight when I had it as a steady shift. I hated steady afternoons. They started busy and ended busy. I'd get home still full of adrenaline and couldn't sleep.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Do any of you older fellows have trouble sleeping?
I do, I do.

Like to watch the 11 PM news to see what tragedies I've missed, and have to get up at 5 AM. Most of the time I'm up twice in that 5 or so hr period. Even on my days off, my internal clock has me rousting after minimal sleep. I function on an average of 5 hrs/night of sleep on GOOD NIGHTS when I sleep through. Not good for the body.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
kudu58 said:
I just may try that. Thanks for the advice.
And if light is making sleep tough, go to KMart or Wallyworld and buy blackout curtains. Make your mind think it is dark when you crash!

And turn a fan or noise machine on in the room. A lot of things happening during the day, including birds chirping. Mostly, the night is quiet. The fan or noise machine will give a constant sound you will soon ignore because it is monotonous. But it covers up the occasional birds, garbage truck, kids playing, etc...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I run shifts at work, and because of that i have a really hard time getting into any sort of sleep pattern. Mostly because, well.. i cant. The best remedy ive found can be found at your local walmart, giant eagle, etc. Its called mid-nites. I forget the exact ingredients but they are all natural,and you can pronounce them all without a phd. As i recall, lavender oil was one of them. They dont zonk you out like a sleeping pill, and there is no grogginess afterwards. They simply relax your body and allow it to rest in a normal efficient sleep. I hate taking medecine, even tylenol, but i never think twice about midnites, give them a shot!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My sleep problems began about 15 years ago on the job i retired from now ! I was on call 24-7 .
I had to handle anything from power failures to water outages to snow storms ? Snow was the worst of them all. 38 hours once,no sleep and flooding was next !

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
I usually only get no more than 5 hrs sleep a night.This has been throughout my life. I do not sleep any less or find it hard to sleep as I got older.
A 20 min catnap during the day helps out some. If I am asleep and wake up short of the 5 hrs its over, I cannot fall back asleep.

I sleep with the TV on, and will not wake for an alarm but will wake up if the phone rings, the dogs barks or if there is movement in the room.
If I get more then 7 hrs sleep I feel like crap all day, if I sleep longer than that my family starts thinking about calling the coroners office.

I wouldn't worry to much about the being unable to sleep, your body knows how much sleep you need.
If you start falling asleep while driving or at dinner you might need to mention it to your doctor.
Sleep Tight

1 - 20 of 25 Posts