The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to help out with todays flushing survey and the magic number for the farm I was on was 9. Our final count was 9 roosters, 9 hens and 9 short eared owls. We also saw a huge flock of snow geese. I was able to get some pictures but I'll have to put them up later.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2-24-13 Flushing Survey

Here are some different pictures I was able to take during the day:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

Great photo's Brian, that's a very good ratio of males/females.

Love looking at WILD PA. born and raised pheasants!

·
Registered
357 Posts

Brian...those are some nice pics...I was the guy with gsp in the pic. My two sons and I had a great time. It was our first flushing event we participated in. I have to admit I was a little skeptical before we did it. I left impressed with the amount of pheasants, especially considering imo the property was pretty small and the switch grass was blown down. It was very encouraging to see that the birds had nearly doubled their population in the area we surveyed. I also wonder if the birds that go off the property get hunted?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Jamesh- I was hoping you were on here so you could see the picture of your dog. I enjoyed seeing Nittany and Blitz back your dog. I think the farm that we worked could hold more birds if some switch grass got mixed in with the blue stem that is on the farm. We did get one more rooster up on the other side of the road before we left. The birds don't get hunted uless they leave the entire WPRA.

·
Registered
357 Posts

How far is the WPRA line from the farm we surveyed? It seems t like there would be pockets of land close by the locals could legally hunt the expanding population.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm not sure how far the boundry line is. You can find a map of the wpra online somewhere. Lynn or somebody else would have a better idea than me on that.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sad to see all that big blue stem. It offers zero food or cover for winter and early spring pheasants. I just don't get it. This past season I found a large field that was predominantly covered with Heath aster and it held birds all the way up the Feb.. It's a native plant that offers excellent cover and food, holds up to heavy snows, allows enough light so small green Forbes grow under it and I'm certain birds would use it to nest in as we'll. I see all that big blue stem as a big mistake that is counter productive and a waste of resources.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Great pics Brian! We should make you the official flushing photographer :) The farm we flushed had about 100 birds. Also it is double the number of last year.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
Great pics Brian! We should make you the official flushing photographer :) The farm we flushed had about 100 birds. Also it is double the number of last year.
Someone pinch me...I believe they can come back...To witness such a small parcel of land hold and increase wild birds is amazing. Seriously, if they can do it there, it is possible anywhere. The habitat wasn't the greatest...

A couple things I also observed...The birds never cockled when they flushed. There were no trees around for them to roost in. Those short eared owls were really neat to see.

I'd love to see the PGC close some SGL's to hunting pheasants/quail and do the same thing they did at the WPRA (release wild pheasants). Eventually we could be hunting wild cock birds.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
No need to pinch you, a lot of us have felt the same way! They need the habitat of course, but I think the biggest factor was the release of WILD birds, much like the success of the turkey program. Now Pa. Sportsman need to work on creating more acres of suitable habitat.

If you hunt small game in Pennsylvania and are not excited by these results you need to get your pulse checked!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

There was a group of students from Millersville University at the last couple of flushing surveys. The class instructor has a blog and posted about the flushing survey. Aaron also helped out as a mentor at the Susquehanna Valley Chapter's Youth Hunt last fall.

http://blogs.millersville.edu/conservation/2013/02/25/millersville-students-on-pheasant-survey/

I figure this is another way to help get the word out about all the work that is being done.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts

Thanks Brian.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts