The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...im an opportunist, not a dedicated predator hunter...but ive had numerous opportunities to take a coyote during rifle deer...i missed one yesterday, but connected today...im seeing them more and more...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
fallscity1 - Congratulations on your first but tell us a little bit more - rifle and caliber - cartridge and bullet weight - distance - scope, etc

Awesome! I would rather shoot a song dog than a deer.
I passed on an elk years ago for a coyote. Have never killed a "song dog". Are they unique to PA?:smile2:

Since you go by dpms I assume that is what you hunt with as do I when on the border. Which model (s) do you have?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coyote john...tikka T3 in .270...it likes Hornady SST 130 gr and Remington 130 gr cor lokt... sub moa wt hornadys and moa wt cor lokt. scope is an ACOG TA33...fixed 5.5... 2 man drive on on hillside flanked by a river and a 4 lane highway...we were still hunting towards each other...id already jumped some doe, no shot and they went the wrong way...the wiley guy was pushed to me...trotting along rockey outcrop above me...he stopped to look at me but i already had the drop on him...entered frontal brisket and removed huge portion of shoulders and spine upon exit...only a 45 yd shot...i was quite surprised at the damage done on exit...not sure if a pic would be prudent...

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Congrats!! As long as I've been deer hunting I have never EVER seen a coyote while hunting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats!

I've seen quite a few coyotes while deer hunting but have never shot one. I just didn't have the interest. That has changed now that my youngest son has become my hunting buddy. We will start coyote hunting in 2020 to extend our hunting season. In fact, that is the reason I recently joined this site and I have been reading some of the old posts. You can expect to hear from me questions and (hopefully at some point) a photo with my son and his first coyote.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Good luck Warthog on the coyote hunting!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts