The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a busy week or so here. Started off Friday the 11th with a 2am wake up and drive to NJ for a duck hunt with brother and two friends, the pup didn't make this trip. We were after ducks but unfortunately the warm weather made it tough. Shooting was slow to say the least with no ducks down by 11am but things picked up in the afternoon with us finishing with 14. It was the day after brant season closed and they must have known it because they put on a show. Also got some great shots of the sunrise over the Atlantic City sky line.

Saturday the 12th found me in a familiar field chasing Canada Geese followed by an afternoon rabbit hunt. The goose hunting was a slam dunk with two guys as we were packed up by about 9:30. The rabbit hunting was good as well in the hedgerows and brush around our goose field and we bagged two before noon with one getting away. It was a great day with the dog.

The following Monday found me, dog and crew on a boat in the Chesapeake Bay hunting divers. It would be my dogs first time doing water retrieves from a boat with waves, tide and current. We kept the retrieves short to start but by the second day she was nailing them. Again with the weather the hunting was tough, knocked down a dozen on day one and four more on day two with the last retrieve being the longest over several strings of longlines which confused her at first but figured it out.

Fast forward to yesterday which found me hunting geese in the morning again followed by rabbits in the afternoon. Geese were piling in enough for me to snap a few pictures after the limit was on the ground. Unfortunately the rabbits did not cooperate in the pm but we did get a few good chases, one she jumped herself and let loose on, squealing chasing it across an opening. The big bonus for the day was the red fox that thought it could catch an easy meal by sneaking on the geese in the field. Unfortunately for him the geese were decoys and a load of BB dispatched him. Maybe a few more bunnies for next year as a result. 15lb male red, a first for me.

Pup waiting for me to take her to start a rabbit drag, training with her breeder, William Miller

Rabbit drag complete

Friday Duck hunt Atlantic City Sunrise etc.

Saturday January 12th's tally

Monday's Maryland Duck hunt, pup scanning for ducks and the days take

Saturday, geese dumping into the decoys and pup with fox

·
Registered
802 Posts
Awesome pics
I like the versatility of your dog. Some guys only target certain game such as just rabbits ,pheasants,or grouse. They even correct them elctronically on game they don't want them chasing
..to each his own.. but some of my beagles will open on pheasants,woodcock,or grouse..and I let them track it.If it's in season I'm gonna pursue it
Congrats.. and it's seems like you have a great hunting partner for yrs. to come.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Awesome photos and an even better dog. Love to see those versatile a work: point AND retrieve, feather AND fur. Outstanding!

Congrats to you and your pup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice Photos and Great Dog, Do you do any grouse or pheasant hunting with her?

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Nice job! Just took my J litter pup out again Sat for a rabbit hunt. It's pretty amazing how quickly they adapt to hunt whatever is in front of them. What VJP are you running?

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Newville, PA, I'd love to run in the Lewisburg one but it was full.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Newville is a good test. I saw a test on the grounds there last year. Lots of bunnies and Ray, who is test director is a real good guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts