The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I'm happy to be joining the forum and cannot wait to learn from everyone's posts! I need some guidance:

I took a shot, downward angle, approx. 10 feet of elevation above the deer with approx. 20 yards of separation. I was shooting from a path down into a hollow where the deer was standing broadside. I tuned the scope starting at 20 yards last week. I had ample time to line up the shot. The deer definitely startled and ran away with other deer. This is a picture of all I could find. No arrow. I havnt found any blood yet. It became too dark about 5 minutes after I took this picture. The angle of the shot leads me to believe that if I had missed or the arrow went through it would be sticking up out of the ground like a sore thumb! I'm going back in the morning to do a thorough search. I've read all kinds of different things - could be a gut shot, could have grazed the navel, could have been a belly shave or back of the leg shave, could have been an exit wound from a high angle shot, etc.

What are your thoughts? Seems like a lot of hair.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Shooting down into a hollow and you were only 10 feet up and the deer was 20 yards away. That may not be as much of a downward angle as you think. Arrow could have struck the belly hair and skipped down the hollow. Not very promising sign if that is the only hair you found but, good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts