The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 5 days chasing pheasants in South Central PA. Had good and not so good days mainly associated with my shooting.

The down side, I never experienced such a tick infestation. I pulled well over 100 ticks off my two springers and they have been regularly treated with frontline.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm not trying to be a know-it-all but Frontline is not a repellent. It kills fleas which attach themselves before they're able to transmit disease. You'll still find ticks on your dogs unless you add a repellent to your program of tick prevention.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
SGL 249 is infested with ticks like no other place on the planet.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
They are voracious little buggers and they are really thick right now in the areas I'm hunting. Earlier in the season we hardly saw any of them. As has already been pointed out, you need a tick repellent rather than Frontline. Some guys use a permethrin spray, some use the purple cattle tags, I like the simplicity of k9advantix. Any one of those methods will help to keep ticks off your hunting buddy.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Apple Cider Vinegar seems to repel pretty well. It's non toxic to the dog or people, and I notice a big difference in the number of ticks on the dog when I use it. Carry it in a spray bottle and spay the dog before hitting the field and a few times while in the field.

It may not work as well as the chemical stuff, but it's enough for me. I've been living with the ticks for so many years, they really don't bother me, and i've had Lymes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Frontline is supposed to take care of ticks, but the issue is that ticks are now resistant to it. A friend of mine who shows and grooms dogs has seem it this year, and is telling everyone to switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts