The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my long range hog rig finished up (for now, when my new stock and new bullets show up I will have to tweak it) 7WSM after I was good with my groups and ES @ 100 I ran a quick program and went to test it long 1050yards. The program worked out and 891 this bugger jumped out and got sat back down. I am please with it for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just got my long range hog rig finished up (for now, when my new stock and new bullets show up I will have to tweak it) 7WSM after I was good with my groups and ES @ 100 I ran a quick program and went to test it long 1050yards. The program worked out and 891 this bugger jumped out and got sat back down. I am please with it for sure.
Good shot, but why not let mom raise the pups before you start killing. We start Memorial Day.

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good shot, but why not let mom raise the pups before you start killing. We start Memorial Day.
In most cases I completely agree with you. But this is my good friends place and it's infested and it's about ruining the hog hunting killing them all so they don't damage his equipment.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I agree with Jeff when I started groundhog hunting sixty years ago I was told by the veteran hunters at that time to start hunting after the first cutting which is around Memorial Day to protect the young groundhogs. If you want to shoot groundhogs before Memorial Day there are plenty of groundhog shoots in Pa. before and after Memorial Day paper groundhogs are lots of fun and very challenging.
Drags

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I agree with Jeff when I started groundhog hunting sixty years ago I was told by the veteran hunters at that time to start hunting after the first cutting which is around Memorial Day to protect the young groundhogs. If you want to shoot groundhogs before Memorial Day there are plenty of groundhog shoots in Pa. before and after Memorial Day paper groundhogs are lots of fun and very challenging.
Drags
Letting them reproduce is all well and good if you’re just looking for target but when you are the one paying for the pasta tractor axles it becomes about population control and you kill everyone you see a soon as you see it

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Letting them reproduce is all well and good if you’re just looking for target but when you are the one paying for the pasta tractor axles it becomes about population control and you kill everyone you see a soon as you see it
exactly
If it's just a random farm I am all for keeping targets for years to come. In fact some farms I don't shoot them if they are less than 800 so that I can keep those ones so when I am on the neighboring farm I can shoot hem at distance as well.
But at my friends place we plant food plots and farm it and really only use it for Deer, so we like to kill them ALL. A busted tractor is bad and expensive, but rolling one and getting killed is even worse.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nice!! Not sure I could even see a chuck at 800 yards, no matter the optics.

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 14 of 14 Posts