The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TC 50 cal that I bought in the 1980's and have not used it in a while that won't fire. The hammer fires but stops in the safety position. I thought I saw a post about this a while ago but can't find it using the seach island. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Try relieving pressure on the screw that goes thru the stock and holds the lock in place.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Double set triggers? Take the lock out and clean it good. Inspect the fly detent for wear. The fly is the tiny flapper like part on the tumbler. Its purpose is to keep the sear from falling into the half-cock notch with a DST. If it's worn, it will fail to accomplish that job.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Like quack said, there is a screw on the other side of the stock as the lock...if too tight it will bind up the hammer...

After that I dont have a clue...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Curly Maple said:
Double set triggers? Take the lock out and clean it good. Inspect the fly detent for wear. The fly is the tiny flapper like part on the tumbler. Its purpose is to keep the sear from falling into the half-cock notch with a DST. If it's worn, it will fail to accomplish that job.

This says it best.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Second question, it has been so long since I have shot it, do you pull the set trigger in the half cocked position or at full cocked position. If you set it in the half cocked position then fired, could that have damaged the firing mechanism

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
mauser06 said:
Like quack said, there is a screw on the other side of the stock as the lock...if too tight it will bind up the hammer...

After that I dont have a clue...
If that is happening, there is something wrong with the inlet. If the tumbler is binding and hitting wood, you should be able to see a rub area. You can remove a little wood where that mark is, but the inlet has slop in it and is allowing the lock to be pulled out of kilter. A proper repair would be to add a sliver of wood in the proper place or even use glass bedding to bring the inlet into tolerance and keeping the lock square. From my experience, such a condition usually affects the sear bar first....making it bind up and eventually causing the sear to just catch the notches in the tumbler...or completely miss'm.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
pagepe said:
Thanks. Second question, it has been so long since I have shot it, do you pull the set trigger in the half cocked position or at full cocked position. If you set it in the half cocked position then fired, could that have damaged the firing mechanism
It wouldn't damage the mechanism. The trigger assembly is separate from the lock assembly. The set trigger should never be set prior to the shooter being in position and ready to fire out of safety concerns. Setting that rear trigger should be the last thing you do in the process of firing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. Great info here. Born and raised in Belle Vernon and grew up hunting, fishing and trapping. Now a transplant in Florida since 1985. This site allows me to remember the good old days and keep up with how things have changed since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have done a bunch of looking on the web but can't find a good figure showing the trigger mechanisms and identifing all the names of the different parts. Anyone know where I can find one?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
And the links at the bottom of that page go to other useful tidbits!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts