The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it. I purchased a late 70's Ford truck which has always been a dream of mine.

I bought this truck from a guy on a purchase/trade just over the line in West Virginia. It needed some work but I got it inspected and road worthy. New Universal joints, ball joints, front axel seals, front and rear brakes, E-brake assembly (did not have one), some exhaust welding, and some wiring.

I was very disappointed to discover what I thought was a gasket leak in the transmission, ended up being a crack in the cast iron case. Some JB weld has slowed the leak and bought me a couple months, but I'm in need of a new transmission if anyone knows of one laying around somewhere. It's a New Process 435 4 Speed. I also have a cracked leaf spring and need to get a new set. The truck has a 4 inch lift.

Anyway, here are some pics. The engine (302) is strong. 4x4 works great. Body is in good shape for the age. I love the truck!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,132 Posts
Nice truck. I had a silver 1979 back in my younger days. I always liked that body style as well.
Some real steel in the body's of the trucks back then, as opposed to the thin tin and plastic of todays trucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
You Ford guys are driving me crazy with these nice trucks!
Great looking ride, take your time with the project and you'll have a truck that many will envy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,357 Posts
very nice

I bought my dad a '79 Ford a few years back and it is finally almost done being fully restored/painted/repaired. They are sharp looking trucks, it was hard to hand him the keys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Congrats on a very nice truck, had a 79 supercab but salt finally took it's toll on it. They are good trucks and easy/cheaper to work on.
Not sure on the transmission most junkyards around here hauled everything in when scrap prices were high, might be able to find a good welder and get it welded up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,679 Posts
78 F150 was my first truck. Brand spankin new, 6cyl,3 speed on column. Cost $4900 new, no rear bumper or radio. Had to buy them from Pep Boys. Fiberglas cap from Bricks in Quakertown for $300
The good old days, oh yea, payments were $89 a month
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,277 Posts
if you have a 302, you can swap in a 5 speed overdrive pretty easy. swap it and the newer style transfer case, save some weight, up your gas milage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yellodog said:
if you have a 302, you can swap in a 5 speed overdrive pretty easy. swap it and the newer style transfer case, save some weight, up your gas milage.
Thanks everyone.

Yea I thought about this, but then I would have to put a hydraulic clutch in and change some things, and it would end up costing me a good bit. Plus I like the idea of keeping it original with the 4 speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,881 Posts
I myself just bought a one owner 79 250 regular cab, 400 with c6 trans with plow from an auction. ATS springs in souderton has everything you need for that beast for hangers, springs, shock mounts etc... his prices are good, shipping is free but the springs can get $$$ with the weight so i picked them up. I assume its the np435 without the granny gear. I will pm you if i find one, local guy has a slew of 70's fords. Best durable simple manual transmissions ever made, rebuilding them is easy. I got lucky, all the brake lines, brakes,ebrakes were all just redone. Truck was never registered for the road, just a farm vehicle since new out of east berlin york county.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BlackBruin said:
I myself just bought a one owner 79 250 regular cab, 400 with c6 trans with plow from an auction. ATS springs in souderton has everything you need for that beast for hangers, springs, shock mounts etc... his prices are good, shipping is free but the springs can get $$$ with the weight so i picked them up. I assume its the np435 without the granny gear. I will pm you if i find one, local guy has a slew of 70's fords. Best durable simple manual transmissions ever made, rebuilding them is easy. I got lucky, all the brake lines, brakes,ebrakes were all just redone. Truck was never registered for the road, just a farm vehicle since new out of east berlin york county.
No, it's the 4 speed with the granny. I'm unfamiliar with one without. I did read about one with an overdrive at some point.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,894 Posts
When I was 20, I bought a new 78 F150. 8 foot bed,2 wd , 300 straight six, 4 speed overdrive. It was silver, with a rainbow stripe package. It was a sharp looking truck. Today with the stripe package, you'de fit right in with a gay pride parade.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,752 Posts
Great truck, my favorite style.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,887 Posts
VaPa, I went digging in the back building tonight. I found one for a 4x2 but none for 4x4. If you need any 5.9 Cummins I found six of them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for lookin Deer Archer. Yea I need the 4x4. Keep an eye out. I found one down here near me but not sure about the price.

Anyone have any ideas what a New process 435 is worth? Not much information out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,829 Posts
check out ford-truck.net they have a forum dedicated to the "dentside" ford years. Someone there will help you find parts for sure. I rerstored a 77' F150 and I got a lot of help from that forum with parts, and other things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,679 Posts
Bigbrownie said:
When I was 20, I bought a new 78 F150. 8 foot bed,2 wd , 300 straight six, 4 speed overdrive. It was silver, with a rainbow stripe package. It was a sharp looking truck. Today with the stripe package, you'de fit right in with a gay pride parade.
Mine was dark metallic blue. The year of bad metallic paint. It oxidized after about 5 years and the metal flakes started coming to the surface. Try to wax it and the whole truck was glazed white haze.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top