The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the gun stated in the subject and was wondering if anybody knew the value? The gun is drilled and tapped for a scope. The stock isn't in bad shape but the blue in isn't like new. I'm just shopping around the idea of getting rid of the gun. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Marlin 336 doesn't hold an extremely high value. A few factors will either bump it up or down from the $500 mark.

You got factors like RC or SC? The SC model is more desire able than the RC

Being that it isn't a scarce caliber like 44mag, 375win, or other short ran oddballs, the value bump for being a rare chamber is null.

Another factor is standard rifling or microgroove. I would say your rifle is standard rifling, which is more desirable IMHO.

Finally, condition. Being yours is a used rifle with signs of wear, it varies. Worn bluing is better off than pitting. Wood is better off nicked/scratched than chipped. Finnish is better dull than missing.

Next is hardware, Scope? Mounts?

I would, without looking at your rifle say its value lies in the realm of around $450. Moving up to around $550 if a good quality scope is mounted similar to a vintage Redfield or fixed Leopold.

Just my .02

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
I paid $200 for a pretty nice SC in 35 Rem. about 12 years ago at a local shop. Mine was not D/T'd, think it was made in '51?

Now and then I see one for sale, but $300 to $400 seems to be about the norm, depending on condition. Not sure if it adds anything to value if the rifle wasn't originally D/T'd and someone had it done?

·
Registered
300 Posts
His was d&t by a smithy, not factory. Its a bump down in value, but not low enough to mention. The factory didn't start Drilling and Tapping until around '54-'55ish (not a Marlin expert or collector).

Standard RC Used condition 336 in 30-30 net around $325-$395 depending on condition. I based my value on that fact alone. One of the local gun shops around me have a 1949 M336SC in 32ws unmolested in near mint condition and is asking $595. Which in my opinion is a bit over valued.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Bought mine for two reasons: A Potter uncle had one in 32 Spl. and I always liked it.

The one I found hadn't been molested, so I "saved" it. Figured it had made it that long without any extry holes, why not give it a safe haven?

Still amazes me a bit, how accurate that stubby little devil is.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You'd be amazed at the price a pre-Remlin will fetch on a certain Marlin owners site. Add $100-$200 to your prices. We're lucky here in Pa, a real Marlin can still be found at a semi-reasonable price, if you do some searching. Other states....not so much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the sc model. I'm also pretty sure it's standard grooved too. There are no chips in the wood and I can't find any pitting. I would probably get rid of it for $300. Once I get back home Friday I could put pictures up if anybody is interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll buy it at that price. I'm going to pm you. We both live in Beaver Co. So the transaction will be smooth and in person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts