The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just bought a 1911 and it shoots great accept for one thing. All of the ejected casings have slight "dings" on the side of the. The "dings" are about midway up on the case.

We've done some research and think we've come up with an answer.

Apparently about 80% of all 1911's that roll off the assembly line (no matter the manufacturer) have a "bur" somewhere in/around the chamber that is caused by incomplete machining during the manufacturing process.

We were just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what your thoughts are.

Is this the what's causing the marks on the side of the cases? And if so, what are your suggestions to fix the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
If there was a burr on the chamber mouth that was big enough to cause a dent, ejection would be hampered. My guess is that this is being caused during ejection, the case might be hitting the port on the way out.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The empty rounds are hitting on the ejection port on the slide when being ejected. The ejection port can be worked by a competent gunsmith.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As John S noted, it's probably hitting the hood or edge of the ejection port that's causing the dent. This can be opened up or flared by a competent gunsmith, but I would try tinkering with the extractor first and then the ejector. If you search after-market parts, you'll see that ejectors come in slightly different sizes for ejection tuning and extractors can also be adjusted for tension. Just Google "1911 ejection problems" and there's a wealth of information out there.
A good link for the basics:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts