The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved 1903 has finally succumbed to age. The barrel is a sewer pipe and the head space is shot.

My option was to rebarrel it - or replace it with a new rifle. The newer rifle option won out - personal choice.

My question is, is there still a demand for the receiver - bolt assemblies (sporterized / blued). Are folks still looking for these actions for custom builds?

I will also have the custom stock for sale if I part this out.

Looking for options on the good parts of this rifle. Right now, a rebuild is not in the cards for me.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
It is well worth a new barrel, my opinion. I am sure if you list the rifle " AS IS " on Gunbroker or similiar auction site you will be very surprised at what you get. There was a guy years ago in Catawissa who made gorgeous rifles out of them. He removed the cocking piece and used his own custom pin to replace it. I am sure there are many who could make it shine.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Some still covet 1903 actions. Bein's I already have two 1903s, I'd give ya a dollar for that relic, easy?

Put the rifle in the classifieds, start 'er off at $300 OBO.

Someone will want to know what the Ser. # is, so they can see if it's one of the actions that are suspect, due to improper heat treating.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Mine is on a US Rem version of the 1903, made in June of 1942. Figure it was sporterized in the 1950s, by the style of the walnut stock, low scope safety and recoil pad (which is now as hard as carbon). Still has the original GI barrel, shoots very well. Put an old K4 steel Weaver on it, which is about period-perfect for that rifle.

Also have another June '42 US Rem in full military configuration, except that the original stock has been cut back. Also an excellent shooter. Have killed deer with both of 'em.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Go to the CMP website & Forum. Ask same questions on rebuild but do not Butcher It. To much CMP Shooting being done with "AS-Issue" 1903's & Garands. (IF you don't want it I have a Nice 600 Remington, 6MM Remington, a real one with a vent rib that can go).

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
DennyF said:
Mine is on a US Rem version of the 1903, made in June of 1942. Figure it was sporterized in the 1950s, by the style of the walnut stock, low scope safety and recoil pad (which is now as hard as carbon). Still has the original GI barrel, shoots very well. Put an old K4 steel Weaver on it, which is about period-perfect for that rifle.

Also have another June '42 US Rem in full military configuration, except that the original stock has been cut back. Also an excellent shooter. Have killed deer with both of 'em.

Mine is a Smith-Corona made in '43 and it is sporterized and rechambered to .308 Norma magnum. It has a walnut stock with monte carlo and cheekpiece and it wears a classic Bushnell Scopechief that still works fine. It also has a very crisp Jaeger trigger and chrome plated bolt and bolt handle.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
I'm trying to pressure him into keeping it. That's brimstone you smell.

Moose can help 'splain that, if need be?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's my rub.

I was going to invest the cash and have a Shaw barrel put on it. Easy enough. They will return a shooter with a better barrel than it was born with. Everything will be right and it will last another 90 years.

Add, this rifle was sported out by my late grandfather. Stock worked into a thing of beauty with his hands in his work shop. That means something to me.

The pragmatist in me says - still a 90 year old rifle. When something goes wrong, it isn't a off the shelf part or fix.

I hunt. Stuff happens. Money is tight, and I need a deer rifle. So do I spend it on the 1903 - or get something else?

Right now, I think the answer is to get something else and keep this one for a future repair. Denny aside - if you have to wrestle this much with a decision on a rifle - best to keep it and look to the future.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
1903 action parts are still available, if that's another concern? Firing pins and springs; extractors, etc.

I don't give up easily, when it comes to things like an heirloom 1903. Took me years to finally pry my uncle's US Rem away from my cousin, after my uncle passed away.

I knew my cousin always hated his dad's rifle, so figured he'd give in some day. Plus if he ever does want it back, it ain't going anywhere until then. Killed a deer with it the first year I had it and really enjoyed that hunt, since unc and I hunted together quite a bit over the years.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Mine weighs about 9 and a half pounds with scope so it isn't something I'd want to take on a Rocky Mountain Elk hunt but that weight makes the .308 Norma kick like it's a .30-06. I like that part. And if I get the opportunity to Moose hunt again it's going with. The only slicker bolt I've ever worked was on a Krag-Jorgenson.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Walked into the room tonight and pulled it out of the cabinet.... re-barrel. It just fits me so well -

Ran the SN again: Springfield 1903 1304598

Born after January 1928

Bent bolt Handle starts ~1000000

1928 Jan 1 - SN 1285266

SA produces NS receivers from SN 1301000 (Hatcher - actual number higher)

1929 Jan 1 - SN 1305901

Breaking it down to get the work going...

Now, Shaw barrel or find a good original and match to gun?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Note pic #2 and the last two pics.

The bolt handle broke off during a bear season a few years ago. Welded it back on - 316L SS w/ tig. The bolt came into a sharp right angle at handle and bolt. 100% v groove around break, and rolled that edge with arc to finish. Very slight mismatch in metal color, but not real noticable.

Bolt has a lot of nickle in it - no chrome and it never rusts.

Can't find any marks in the bolt except for a "T' above whrre i welded under handle. No marks on bolt.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
The question is do you want to keep it a 30-06 or rechamber it? If you want to keep it an '06 you can always find an original barrel on Gunbroker. If you want a rechamber then you will have to go with a Shaw or similar barrel.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It stays 30.06 no question on that.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Bluetick's M1903 Sport - Update

Well I did indeed decide to have a new barrel put on the rifle.

Next question was what barrel.

Shaw could do a new barrel through first firing for about $450.

I decided to go to the York gun show and see if i could find a barrel.

Found one still in the wrapper filled with cosmoline.

As we speak, it is at the shop getting the new High standard 6-44 barrel installed. Getting a complete blue job, kiss off on the barrel to smooth it out, blue and adjustments.

Told the smith to let enough of the ord mark and date that they bleed through the bluing. Mistake or not, I saw it on another rifle and liked it. Having the date of June 1944 I figured why not.

Pictures will follow when I get this back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts