The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has a 1849 - colt cap and ball 5 shot pistol. He had someone offer him 1200 for it 20 years ago. Since then, not sure what happened, but he got the cylinder chromed - not sure why, he doesn't remember why either. BUT, is there a way to take that chrome off? Is there a gun shop or someone that would be able to remove it?
He is looking to sell it, but thinks the chrome takes the value away from the gun -
thoughts?
suggestions?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Big boo-boo there. Yes, it can be removed. You will be left with a shiny new surface, no good. Patina is key to a vintage colt, the color that 150 years puts on it. Removing the patina removes most of the value. There is no putting back original condition, whats done is done. It still has a good value, but not near what it would have if left alone. The only salvation would be to find another cylinder, but you would have to disclose that if selling it.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Pretty much. No "going back", once a treasure has been monkeyed with that much. Went through this many years ago with a guy I worked with, that had an original 1860 Colt family heirloom and wanted to have it refinished.

One of my Potter cousins has a 1940s vintage M94 that was in pretty decent condition, except that most of the blue was gone from the receiver. Several years ago he proudly showed it to me, after his family surprised him by having it reblued.

I keep my stuff under lock and key. I don't like surprises.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts