The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know .22 LR Ammo is like finding gold, but what about .17s???

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Very easy around here. Cabelas has full shelves every day.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all..i am looking to buy another small caliber rifle..just don;t want to get one that i can;t get shells for.

So HMR or Hornet...which would you get?

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
What do want to use it for?I bought a Ruger .17 hornet this past summer.It's a great varmint and fur gun but the gun itself is more expensive.It's also not really for plinking or for small game that you plan on eating.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had 22 MAG, traded it for the 17HMR when it came out, shot it few years, then sold it for another 22 MAG

22MAG ammo is pretty easy for me to find in the smaller shops in Clarion, Venango and Butler counties

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm liking the hornet for what I would use it for. I'm just about ready to make the purchase. It should have enough for coyotes and not rip foxes up. I will still use my hmr for ground hogs.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I'm seeing quite a bit of HMR in 17 gr but not in 20 gr. Unfortunately, my Savage likes the 20's . I don't think that it's unusual for the Savage HMR's to be finicky when it comes to ammo so while HMR ammo may be available, a load that shoots accurately in your gun may not be. I'd favor the centerfire too, especially if you can reload.You'll get more versatility out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts