The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oops... Forgot the decimal point lol

Been a rough year, prior to this day I had only seen 1 buck!!

I shot this deer on a quick hunt behind my work on Tuesday. I decided to hunt there based on limited time because of the clock change and not getting done working till 4.

It was only a 45 minute hunt but it was action packed to say the least.... I had seen a huge, 130+" 8pt, that the property owners were hunting for my first deer of the evening, I had that buck broadside at 18 yards. I passed that deer out of respect for the people hunting it. The next deer I saw was a pretty nice 10pt, chasing a doe that didn't offer me a shot. Just then I heard a snap behind me and it was this 6 pt. I decided to take him. Double lung shot with 2 blade rage did a number on him!!!

Still have 2 doe tags that I may or may not take advantage of.

Enjoy your season fellas and be safe!!!!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Nice Rage-hole!!!

Congrats on the buck!!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Not many people would have passed on that 8pt out of respect...congrats on that and a nice bow kill!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe, maybe not mark but my employers letting me hunt their sanctuary and knowing the time and effort they've put in there to have what they do have, it was the right thing to do!! Maybe it will lead to future "invites"

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
OlMossyHorns said:
Maybe, maybe not mark but my employers letting me hunt their sanctuary and knowing the time and effort they've put in there to have what they do have, it was the right thing to do!! Maybe it will lead to future "invites"
I admire your classy and respectful decision. Under that circumstance your success with this buck will mean much more to you. Well done!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jet, you are 100% correct.... I felt no indecision when I passed that buck and when I decided to take the 6pt, it felt as good if not better than some of the bigger bucks I have taken. Knowing that I can make a choice like that and feeling no regret, I'll never take a deer somebody tells me they are hunting public or private land. Just my preference..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turkey4life...It happened quick but When I realized it was the buck they described to me, I never even grabbed for the bow or took it off the bow hook...

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
nice buck, good job
. On a side note I have a family I let hunt our property several years ago one of the men jumped an 8 point and could have had an easy shot on it, he didn't shoot it because it was running towards me (landowner), I missed the deer, when he got to my stand I asked why he didn't shoot, and he said it wouldn't have been the right thing to do, with behavior like that he can hunt our property till I die. Kudos to you on being a respectful hunter and a class act in the woods, wish there was more like you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congratulations on the kill. In my opinion, every kill is a trophy and should be treated as such. My hat goes off to you! If only there were more hunters like you out there...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts