The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try this caliber? I just picked one up in the savage bmag and I've yet to take it to the range. Reading some online reviews, there seems to be a great deal of inconsistency in the ammo cause some wild groups. Hopefully get out to the range later to see how it does.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The store I work at has a pretty steady supply of them not far from butler. Most people that I have talked to said they dont believe it is the caliber or the gun but the lack of variety in ammo. Since it is a new caliber you are pretty limited in which ammo they make and every gun no matter the caliber likes different ammo. Most people are shooting really good groups with the occasional flyer that is a couple inches from the group. This will most likely be fixed in a year or 2.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I tend to stay away from "new" calibers for several years to see if they will make it or not. Every few years a new one comes out that is hailed by writers in all the mags as the "best thing since sliced bread" and 5 years later you hear and read nothing about them. Unless you reload and stocked up on ALL components you are *****!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dasher, the ammo is EVERYWHERE. The guns have some accuracy issues. Mine shot terrible groups for a few outings but now it shoots lights out. I bought mine to be a cheap beat around rifle for fox and chucks. I've shot 9 shots at woodchucks and killed 8. It is an awesome chuck gun. I was surpised one shot anywhere really seems to anchor them well. I carry it when I want to walk and not shoot prone with my big gun. Ive been shooting the winchester and american eagle loads, the 20 and 25 grain shoot the same out of mine.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
6-DASHER said:
It's not that there's anything wrong with it, are you willing to risk trying to find shells for one
There's no problem at all with finding the ammo. The issues are with the guns. There were recalls on the guns, etc. Savage rushed to get them to market, and they had issues. Some of that has been rectified, but it's still a cheap gun with issues here and there. With some tinkering around they can be made to shoot well, consistently.

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
I would like to have one.However with a 17 hmr,22lr,22 mag,204 ruger and 22-250 I simply don't see the need for it.I can reload center fire cartridges for a little more money.Special regs I get that.How do you like it so far?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I had one, it shot like crap. I sold it but would love to get my hands on one of the ones that does shoot. The problem isn't with the ammo, everyone has to shoot the same ammo.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Borden811 said:
6-DASHER said:
It's not that there's anything wrong with it, are you willing to risk trying to find shells for one
There's no problem at all with finding the ammo. The issues are with the guns. There were recalls on the guns, etc. Savage rushed to get them to market, and they had issues. Some of that has been rectified, but it's still a cheap gun with issues here and there. With some tinkering around they can be made to shoot well, consistently.
Correct with regard to initial issues with the Bmag and Savage's haste to market. However, the new Bmag target model is a tack driver right out of the box. I bought two - one for me and my son. They are both .5 MOA capable with a 20 - grain projectile from any one of the 3 current ammo manufacturers.

Ammo is widely available and variability has not been a concern.

What tinkering have you had to do to make your Bmag shoot? What is cheap ... less than half the price of the Ruger with a 6-8 pound trigger?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have the heavy barrel version. Shoots okay, just do not like the make up of the gun and the safety mechanism. The safety has to be off when you cycle the bolt or it won't fire. Really, really dumb IMO. It just feels cheap too. I use it as a varmint gun around the house, so it doesn't need to be all fancy and what not. Ammo was nearly impossible to find a few years ago, but the local Wal-Mart seems to get a shipment here and there now. I've heard the 25 grain shoots a lot better than the 20. I could only find the 20 grain when I bought the gun, but have since bought 3 boxes of 25 and have yet to sight it in with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts