The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If you plan on using a suppressor, I’m assuming you want as little noise as possible. The .17 calibers “power” comes from the velocity of the small bullets.

There are two sounds that occur when you pull the trigger. One is the muzzle blast from the powder ignition, and the second from the bullet breaking the speed of sound (1,150 fps)

To keep a .17 quiet will require shooting a sub-sonic fps load. That will severely diminish the killing power of the .17.

Sub-sonic 22LR have decent power on small critters such as groundhog…if they are close, but I’m sot so sure about the .17

FWIW

·
Registered
918 Posts
I can’t speak for a suppressed .17 caliber, but I can tell you that I have a .17 hornet that is obnoxious. Actually waiting on mh banish 223 suppressor to arrive… I’ll be trying it on a couple .17 soon.
The .17 has such a loud crack for how small it is

·
Registered
61 Posts
I shoot suppressed 17 hmr, 22 lr, .204 ruger, 223, 308, 450 bushmaster and 338 lapua.
In reality the suppressor eliminates the bang of the powder explosion and the muzzle flash. A subsonic load will be whisper quiet as there is no sonic boom from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. However, the sonic boom is quite loud. I would compare an unsuppressed 22 long rifle to a suppressed 223 in decibels but it is a unique sound.
I compare the 308 and up unsuppressed to an engine (v8) running with no exhaust to an engine running with a good performance exhaust system (suppressed) if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
24,386 Posts
I have a friend that shoots suppressed on both the 223 and 17 hornet. I’m surprised how quiet the 223 is when he shoots it. It sounds like a 22 going off. The 17 hornet is really quiet too, I’m thinking of going that route for my 17 hornet

Reactions: Juniata4ever

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would check out Yankee Hill machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Dead Air, Silencer Co. Silencer Shop has many listed and is a very convenient way to purchase.

Best part is hearing the thwack or thump at the end of the shot.

"Rabbit hole warning" suppressors are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one. :love:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
"Rabbit hole warning" suppressors are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.
I was going to apply for one but at my age, I'll probably be dead before it's approved.

I have a very good friend and at times a calling partner who hunts supprised. I have been calling with him and had doubles and triples come and he'll kill one and the other one or two will just stop, look at the dead one, and continue to come in.

·
Registered
28,868 Posts
on several occasions LH10 and myself have had 3 coyotes come in. we do the 3,2,1, BANG...two go down, and the third one either stands there or runs in a circle and stops to see where the other two are. then that one gets whacked too.
my suppressed is .223 he usually shoots his suppressed .243...man is that thing quiet.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Looking for recommendations for a supressor on a 17 rem. thanks
Most smaller caliber suppressors are for a .224 centerfire caliber.....most "rimfire" suppressors are generally not rated for centerfire rifle calibers.
Your best bet would be to do a lot of research for trying to suppress these smaller .17/.20 4000fps range calibers.

Most are disappointed that their laser calibers are still loud...ya it cuts down that initial bang at the table...but that "crack" and noise reflection down range is a lot louder than larger calibers such as .223 Rem and .243 Win...I've witnessed it over a 100 times night coyote hunting.
...and you'd be defeating the purpose of trying to soften the load of a laser caliber to get the full benefits of shooting them suppressed. You'd be better off getting a .223 and working on a good suppressed shooting round that has a 300 yard range.

Like Steeltrap and ChrisLD said.....they will still be loud.
I shoot a .223 and a .243 suppressed...

...my suppressed .223 coyote loads are absolute mind blowing and they are not sub sonic...bohunr has witnessed it.
...I currently shoot factory out of my .243 and they are pretty darn quiet for factory where I will continually get asked .."..is that the .223?" since the platforms are simular.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
on several occasions LH10 and myself have had 3 coyotes come in. we do the 3,2,1, BANG...two go down, and the third one either stands there or runs in a circle and stops to see where the other two are. then that one gets whacked too.
Reinforces what I posted about four posts above.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I pretty much run Dead Air cans. Like others have said, once you get one, your getting more. I have 4 and a SBR now. I started with a Sandman L from Dead Air. Its a tank of a can and suppresses my 30/06 to a 223, and its hearing safe. For my pred work, I have a Sandman K can for my 5.56, 223, and smaller faster stuff. Forget sub sonics in these calibers. Your gonna run them full power, and only hear the downrange crack when the bullet breaks the speed of sound. Additionally with my Sandman K, I run a 22 cal endcap on it, since its built to 30 cal specs. In hunting scenarios, its totally hearing safe for being a shorter can. Now If I was training with my SBR and running 5.56 double tapping targets and running drills, I wear ear pro. If you want the best bang for your buck, a one and done.. get a dead Air Sandman S. The Key Mo mounting system is the best around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts