The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good cleaning kit just for the 17 Cal. and want to know what everyone else uses.

For Christmas, I got a cleaning kit from Cabelas that included a cleaning brush & cotton swab for the 17 cal. IMO what a piece of junk.

I used it today for the 1st time and bent the flimsy rod while cleaning the rifle.

Also, the attachments for the 17 cal. do not fit on flexible pull rod and that kit does not include the slotted attachment for running patches through the bore.

At least the case is nice.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Go and buy yourself a good Dewey one piece cleaning rod along with a couple jags and about 6 brushes. The 17 caliber is fun but cleaning them isn't because everything is 17 cal specific.

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
I did the cheap kit route and I have the pieces to prove it.

I went with a good SS rod and I am happy.

I also have a pocket kit a guy on RFC was selling. It is made up of weed wacker line. You pull the jags through the bore. For the $ it works good. I'll try to find the link and post it IF he is still in business.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With my 17, i a run q-tip dipped in Hoppes #9 once through the barrel. Then follow-up with a bore-snake with a little oil. Super easy and fast and the bore gets sparkling clean.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
joe8768 said:
I used it today for the 1st time and bent the flimsy rod while cleaning the rifle.

That's the classic result of a misfitted jag/patch/bore combination. A patch should pass through bore with only light moderate effort. If the rod flexes even the slightest bit the jag-patch combination needs to be re-evaluated

For my 17s(HMR,HM2) I use a Dewey coated 36" rod, Dewey 17 jag, 3/4" Pro Shot or Sinclair patches, a Sinclair guide and Butch's.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts