The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one? I have been torn between the .22 Hornet and a .17 Hornet for predator hunting. I liked the looks of the 17 Fireball but no one seems to be producing it. I'm really interested in what your experiences have been with the 17 Hornet.

I now have to throw the 17 Super Mag into the mix because it is so inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I have a 17 hmr and love it. My friend never stops talking about the fireball, so I've been keeping an eye out for one. If you do get the fireball, you better have a reloader. You already answered the question of, why?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I borrowed a friend's 17 hmr and really liked it. I would like a bit more punch for predators but it made me wonder if the .22 LR will fade away.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Springer Rage said:
Does anyone have one? I have been torn between the .22 Hornet and a .17 Hornet for predator hunting. I liked the looks of the 17 Fireball but no one seems to be producing it. I'm really interested in what your experiences have been with the 17 Hornet.

I now have to throw the 17 Super Mag into the mix because it is so inexpensive.
17 hornet will be cheaper if you reload. If you don't I would forget it.

It would also be better cause if you do reload you can use 30 grain bullets. It also has more punch.

If you don't reload, I would probably go with the 22 hornet. Not much more expensive than the new 17 rimfire mag for a box of shells.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ive had a 17 hornet in savage wv for about three weeks now.havent shot anything yet but missed a fox the other night with it. My fault.im shooting factory vmaxs till I get dies.as far as groups I got about half inch at 100 yd off a crappy rest. I think it will do better when I get on a good solid bench .

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have a .22 Hornet but not the new .17 Hornet. Of the two you mention, I'd probably go with the .17. I have 2 Fireballs (Remington and Encore)and love the caliber. They do show up used because guys don't want to pay factory ammo prices. Factory ammo at a reasonable price is hard to come by. Remington and HSM are the common manufacturers. I think other companies simply refused to acknowledge another Remington cartridge which is why is been slow to catch on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts