The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was recently reading about the new 17Hornet.Savage and Hornady have been working on this for awhile and savage will be making this rifle.I hope other company,s like CZ and Ruger come out with their version.Would love to see a CZ 527 American chambered in this.Recoil is like a 22 Magnum with velocity around 3700fps with 20gr bullet. Would be an ideal chuck gun out to 300 yds.Would anyone else be interested in this caliber?I love the 22 Hornet and always say,Sting um with a Hornet,now you can explode un,LOL.

·
Registered
526 Posts
it won't be an ideal 300 yard chuck gun. While the bullets have great speed, the light 20 gr BT's will drift a bit much when you get past 200 and they loose their speed pretty quick in that same range. It is a sweet 200 yard gun, but 300 is for windless days only.

Look up the 17 ackley hornet, especially on saubier as there are a couple groundhog guys there who love their AH's. I love mine, sadly I have no groundhogs to shoot, only hares, pigeons, and crows.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
cbf is correct. It will occasionally work to 300, but under 250 is more like it. It will NOT explode a groundhog. More than likely, you won't get an exit and will have a hard time even finding an entrance hole.

Like cbf said, the 17AH is it's closest related cartridge, and the 17AH has been around for years. It is a great little round, especially for predator hunting. Works great on foxes, coons, etc. that you don't want to blow huge holes in the hide. Handloaders will enjoy it. Only about 10 gr of powder to get 3700 fps, good 17cal bullets available, etc. It's going to be very popular.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts