The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife asked me if I wanted a gun for Christmas. I have several deer rifles, so I started thinking about some other calibers. Tell me some pros and cons about the .17 HMR to help me decide.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
They are accurate and ammo is more available around here than 22 LR or 22 mag.I have only used mine for target though.If you won't use it for small game consider a quality air rifle for serious plinking.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I love my Savage 93. With Federal/Hornady ammo the accuracy is insane on these guns. On paper I don't own a better shooting gun. Great for small game, fox, groundhogs, and fall turkey. Ammo is a little more costly than .22 but easier to find. Everything I hunt that it's legal for I've taken at least 1 with this gun and it's done a fine job every time I've pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Look at the CZs with interchangeable barrels not costly and you can buy just the 17 now and get a 22mag or LR latter. The accuracy on them is incredible and great for varmints or paper punching.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Trout 48 said:
Look at the CZs with interchangeable barrels not costly and you can buy just the 17 now and get a 22mag or LR latter. The accuracy on them is incredible and great for varmints or paper punching.
It's funny you should mention CZ. I am looking at this combo as well. Also the .223 550 American with the bull barrel. Nice rifles. Walnut/Blued with no goofy Acci-Trigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts