The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find a Remington .17 Fireball anywhere. As soon as you mention this caliber to the gun shops, they tell you it's hard to find. Give it, I do want a specific make/model. However, I noticed Rem. has discontinued the fireball in several models.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone know what the deal is?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have been going into small gunshops all my life. For over 40 years. Most small gun shops simply do not cater to varmint shooters. They just don't sell alot of pure varmint rifles. And the 17 FireBall is a pure varmint rifle.

Varmint hunters are picky about what they buy. And if one little option is not right then they will not buy. So it is difficult for small dealers to have the exact right rifle. They would have to stock too many to be able to do that-so most simply do not try.

You will have to go to large dealers, and even large dealers do not cater especialy to the varminter.

The 17 FireBall was never going to be a major seller. Remington knew that. And the mfrs. bring out different cartridges all the time. Hoping to get that magic cartridge that everyone will buy. The 17 FireBall is just another one in that line.

If you want one then order it. Get exactly what you want. And be sure to lay back a lifetime supply of brass. Then who cares what happens?? I have done this for several rifles and cartridges. One of them is the 300 WSM. I currently have two of them, and a lifetime supply of brass. So I could care less whether the cartridge is successful long term or not. Tom.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right on that one specific want HoggHead. I can't find the model I want, apparently it is discontinued as of last year. Frustrating.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
and it was to replace the .17 remington.try and find one of them! i had one made for my encore,love it! watch the bullet hit,no recoil.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Deerhunter, I know a gunsmith in westmoreland co. That could probably find u one, but definitely build u one, his shop is in west newton. Pm me if u want his #.

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
Guy I work with told me today there are two 17 Fireball rifles (with bull barrels) sitting on the shelf at a local gun dealer. Don't know the model however.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my gun! From Wyoming! Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts