The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Are you referring to the new .17 Win Super Mag rimfire?If so, the answer is yes.Or are you talkin about the .17 centerfire?Which that would be another yes.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Im not a nay sayer but sure it would work, very well for foxes but you might not find a coyote unless it hit just right. Guys on here were saying that the 17 hornet/fireball wasnt getting it done, but if your going to risk the maby few if any chances you get at a yote to a 17cal bullet thats up to you I dont want to look back and think if only I had the right gun.... why not a 204? same concept small fast bullet but will taje out any coyote you will ever meet?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: 17 mag

Fireball will kill both. ...17 rem will kill both...some swear by the hmr but I wouldn't put money on it...didn't try 17 hornet but supposed to shoot like .223...I wouldn't think it has the energy as 223...22 hornet kills piles of fur every season...I'm sure the 17super mag will do fox not sure biut yotes...204 is too much for fox...223 is tech too much for fox but I use it with 50/50 results blow up rate...I got a 22hornet now so thats my designated fox gun...its not really the caliber for fox...more speed related...more speed more tearing

·
Banned
621 Posts
swpa87 said:
Im not a nay sayer but sure it would work, very well for foxes but you might not find a coyote unless it hit just right. Guys on here were saying that the 17 hornet/fireball wasn't getting it done, but if your going to risk the maybe few if any chances you get at a yote to a 17cal bullet that's up to you I don't want to look back and think if only I had the right gun.... why not a 204? same concept small fast bullet but will take out any coyote you will ever meet?
1st of all, 17 Hornet (true 17 Hornet) ammo has only been available since last Summer and in most areas on the USA any 17 Hornet rifles have only made rare appearances since late Summer to late Autumn. The 1st ones I saw were at the local Dick's Sporting Goods and were hand delivered by their Savage Rep.

2ndly, the 17 Fireball and Hornet are 2 totally different animals. Not to mention that the 17 Fireball has been discontinued as a rifle by Remington.

It is true though that both rounds exceed the performance of the 17WSM I can see why he is asking.

Winchester 17 Super Mag

17 Win Super Mag 20 gr. Varmint HV
Product Details

Basic Information
Ballistics

Basic Information
Ballistics
Rimfire Ballistics
Distance
(yds) Velocity
(fps) Energy
(ft.lbs.)
50 2745 335
100 2504 278

Hornary 17 Hornet

Ballistics
Videos

17 Hornet 20 gr V-MAX™ Superformance® Varmint
Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
3650/592 3078/421 2574/294 2122/200 1721/131 1383/85
Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
-1.50 1.10 0.00 -6.40 -20.60 -46.80

I am thinking the reason he is asking is because he wants an affordable alternative to hunting coyotes and other varmints. If there is a rim fire cartridge available that will do the job it is the 17WSM and at the MSRP price of the B.Mag around $350 it is hard to beat. You can't find a used .204, .222, .233 or .22-250 for that kind of money. Might be able to find a .243 in that range.

Agreed the .204 Ruger would be a better choice especially with 40gr or 45gr. Having a .204 myself I know it is an amazing round and very accurate. I think though that a well placed shot at under 200 yards with a 17 Super Mag will do the job. It's all shot placement.

The other thing though is the B.Mag has not hit the streets yet, neither has the ammo. I am waiting, patiently, but I do want one. Heck, when my local gun shop gets them if they have more than one and I have the money I might buy 2 just to make some money from the 2nd on GunBroker.

·
Banned
621 Posts

Critterslayer51 said:
...I got a 22hornet now so that's my designated fox gun...its not really the caliber for fox...more speed related...more speed more tearing
Are you using factory ammo, is so what? If you are loading your Hornet what grain bullet and how much powder?

·
Banned
621 Posts

Well guys & gals,

I must be living right because I walked in to my favorite local gun shop just after UPS dropped off a rifle from Savage.

Guess what I saw today, it was...

I whipped my check book out so fast I was like a shop-a-holic at a K-Mart blue light special LOL

I got to help open, hold, touch, play with and covet after this dandy rifle.

·
Banned
621 Posts

Actually it came in yesterday just before I walked in there. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me take it. It is going to the local Savage Sales rep to tote & promote. I did feel 'er up though. If I don't have one by July 20th I will be able to shoot that one.

Savage is having a Savage Shoot July 20th at the Edinboro Sportsman Club, Edinboro PA (Erie County) and the B.Mag is part if the guns that will be there.

·
Banned
621 Posts

There is no hold up. Ever since I heard about the round & rifle the expected target release has been Q2 2013. Quarter 2 2013 is now. Savage has told me that they will have these rifles shipped by the end of June (still Q2) and the fact that I had one in my hands in the beginning of June is a good thing.

Winchester, last I spoke with them, said ammo would be shipping the week of Memorial Day.

·
Banned
621 Posts

Savage Arms shared a link.
21 hours ago
It's here. 3,000 fps rimfire. All new rifle. All new caliber. Shipping this week.
Savage Arms > BMag > Index
www.savagearms.com
The all-new Savage B.MAG and the 3,000 fps. 17 Winchester Super Magnum combine to deliver centerfire performance in a rimfire package.
180Like · · Share

Copied from Facebook

and now the B.Mag site. [url]http://www.savagearms.com/bmaghttp://www.savagearms.com/bmag[/url]

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

I bought one this past friday from my local dealer. It shipped this week. Should have it next week I'm told

·
Registered
247 Posts

Plinkin.. any chance you'd be able to tell us where you ordered those from? My friend and I have the 2 rifles on order at our favorite little gunshop... but I get the sneaking suspicion I'll have the rifle in hand a lot sooner than i'll have ammo to shoot out of it. PM me if you don't want 900 hoarders making a run on your supplier.

·
Banned
621 Posts

Sure it was Sportsmans Warehouse but they have been out of stock since I received my order.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts