The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt deer and bear here in PA. My local shop carries Federal Blue box in both weights. My Savage 99 is an antique and I'm not going to put a bunch of rounds through it so I won't be reloading for it. Which weight would better serve my needs in an open sight hunting rifle?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would go with the 150's. I use 150's in a .308 and have used them in a .300 savage as well with very good results. P.S. sold that .300 for $150 about 20 years ago. Wish I still had it.

Reactions: triggercreep

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
In my .300 Savage, my preference is the 180. But I tend to prefer heavier for caliber bullets in general. At .300 savage velocities, you will get good performance out of either one. But with bear on the menu, I'd opt for the 180 for extra penetration. I also hunt thick woods and thus prefer a heavier bullet. Now some will come on and cite all the studies that show bigger and heavier bullets offer no advantages in brush. But still, in the brush, in any given caliber, I prefer the heavier bullets. FWIW.
The one bear that I harvested with my .300 was with a 180 Hornady Interlock roundnose. I double lunged it and it traveled about 15 yards before expiring. BTW, those Federal blue box are the only factory 180's that I can find. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I could never understand why a 165 is not offered in .300 Savage. It offers the best of both worlds. Mine shoots 165's the best of any weight and that is what I load when I know I'll be toting it for deer only. I have only ever harvested one deer with the 165's that even took a step after being hit with them.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Inside 100 yds probably not much difference but IMO the 180s are too heavy for the savage to push to a reasonable velocity for reliable expansion. I would, and do use, the 150s although I never shot a bear with one. A friend has used 150s in a 308 ( a little more but pretty close to savage velocity) on several bears with no problems.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I hav two Meatmasters in 300 Savage, one early 760 and a 7600. I do not reload, so it is factory ammo for both.

I have shot Core-Lokt 150, Power-Shok 150 & 180, and Hornady 150 SSTs.

The Hornady's have been the most accurate on paper at 100 yards, and the deer I have shot with them were DRT.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just not comfortable with SST's on Bear.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hunt with a Remington carbine chambered for .308 which is slightly faster than your 300. I really like the 180 grain round nose ammo for my hunts within forests and foothills. This bullet has a large chunk of exposed lead at the tip which causes rapid expansion upon impact. Yet this bullet has the momentum to break bones. But when I hunt out on the open prairies for antelope I sight in with 150 grain ammo for its flatter trajectory.

TR

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hunt with a Remington carbine chambered for .308 which is slightly faster than your 300. I really like the 180 grain round nose ammo for my hunts within forests and foothills. This bullet has a large chunk of exposed lead at the tip which causes rapid expansion upon impact. Yet this bullet has the momentum to break bones. But when I hunt out on the open prairies for antelope I sight in with 150 grain ammo for its flatter trajectory.

TR

Agree the round nose a is a good bullet and would work well in the 300 savage in a traditional psp design I would lean to the 150 grain. 300 savage is shooting the 180's at speeds similar to the 30-30 shoots 150's. With handloads the 180's can be pushed a bit faster or with the round point which opens up at slower speeds it would be fine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Inside 100 yds probably not much difference but IMO the 180s are too heavy for the savage to push to a reasonable velocity for reliable expansion. I would, and do use, the 150s although I never shot a bear with one. A friend has used 150s in a 308 ( a little more but pretty close to savage velocity) on several bears with no problems.
Yeah think the 300 savage is close to 2300 with 180's. With a traditional psp that should give 150 to 200 yards of expansion. The 150's will expand at any range your likely to shoot in PA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts