The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there uses 125 grain field tips or broadheads? I haven't used them in years...Looking to add some speed to my arrows and wasn't sure of heavier tips would work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 6 year old Hoyt Reflex set at 63lbs and draw a 29" with 100 grain tips now....but I am looking to get a little bit more out of it

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to chronograph my how to see how fast it is.

·
Registered
850 Posts
yes but remember a fast miss is still a miss.on my hunting arrows i am running 250 grain on the tip,520 grain total weight blast right thru them.i try to keep my shots under 30 yds

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
I have used 125 gr. Thunderheads for years and years. They do an excellent job of fully penetration.

I am not into speed for the purpose of speed my total hunting arrow weights 503 gr. and I am currently shooting them at 57 lbs.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Most people are either disappointed or question the chronograph when they check their bow speed. Any draw less than 30" you will lose approx. 10 fps per inch, anything added to the string robs speed, any poungage less than the max. for that bow approx. 4fps loss per pound. Several years ago my buddy and I were switching a friends bow over for 3-d looking for alittle more fps out of it and we gained 12fps just by replacing the brass clamp on nock point with a tie on nock removing the peep aligner rubber and taking off the cat whiskers. Most of the speeds that are advertised for bows are shot at 30" draw, 70 pounds, bare string, and a bare shaft. That is the IBO speed quoted in most adds.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's funny you say that....cause I have the peep site with the tubing on it, brass knock points and the cat whiskers on my bow too....I never thought that it would slow down my now that much

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess I better take some of the stuff off...especially the brass knock points and put that string loop on

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the tips...any more tips would be great

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is another question...I have whisker on my bow now....what would be the best to put on there to keep it quiet...but not weigh a lot.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bow....if I take the whisker off...but I don't want to add weigh.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have both of those on my bow

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
add a sps system to quiet it, remove everything except a regular peep and string loop. switch to a lighter shaft and a lighter point.

see my calucation below? thats a 7.4 grain per inch arrow, 85 grain point 29" cut length, 2" blazer vanes. ive got enough KE to kill a bear at 61# draw weight. need a 500 grain arrow when you want to kill a water buffalo, not a whitetail.

the exception is of course a recurve, you need the heavy to compensate for the lack in speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts