The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
Glad she stands up for her hunting and great to see a youngster that involved in hunting.

I have a zebra hide draped over my sofa in my trophy room and the only reason I didn't shoot a giraffe was that my ceilings are too low for the mount. I had a chance at a whopper and would have loved to have been able to take it. Giraffe are very tough to bring down and a great source of meat which is very good.

People are just plain uninformed. Zebra and giraffe are just like any other animal that needs to be managed. Most giraffe that are harvested are older ones that don't have long anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,268 Posts
Any adult that ridicules a child is not very sporting either. That's the height of cowardice. Spurred on by equal parts ignorance and selfishness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,651 Posts
Bambi Syndrome strikes again. To many people who saw The Lion King reacted to the little girls Facebook page.
Personally I would rather had shot both with a camera, since it is not something I would be willing to try and eat, but it appears she harvested them legally and gave the meat to a good cause why should she be criticized?
Funny how some human beings find it OK to threaten her life yet she was wrong to shoot a animal.
Priorities, Priorities, Priorities
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,145 Posts
kudu58 said:
Glad she stands up for her hunting and great to see a youngster that involved in hunting.

I have a zebra hide draped over my sofa in my trophy room and the only reason I didn't shoot a giraffe was that my ceilings are too low for the mount. I had a chance at a whopper and would have loved to have been able to take it. Giraffe are very tough to bring down and a great source of meat which is very good.

People are just plain uninformed. Zebra and giraffe are just like any other animal that needs to be managed. Most giraffe that are harvested are older ones that don't have long anyway.
I would LOVE a zebra rug to go along with the kudu, gemsbok, nyala, and cape buffalo that I also hope to take some day...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Kudu -

I used to work for a guy that hunted Africa.
He showed me the list of game available and their associated price tags...

Just curious - do you know much it would cost the hunter to harvest a giraffe??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,651 Posts
HD1969 said:
Kudu -

I used to work for a guy that hunted Africa.
He showed me the list of game available and their associated price tags...

Just curious - do you know much it would cost the hunter to harvest a giraffe??
I bet the whole hunt would be around 10K for flight, lodging, guide and then animal fee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
HD1969 said:
Kudu -

I used to work for a guy that hunted Africa.
He showed me the list of game available and their associated price tags...

Just curious - do you know much it would cost the hunter to harvest a giraffe??
Standard price for a giraffe right now is around $4,000-$5,000 just for the trophy fee. You will find higher and lower, but that's around average. But that's just the trophy fee. Doesn't count the daily rate and as stated already, the flight, the dip and ship to get it home and a number of other things.
If you went on a standard 6 to 7 day safari and shot the usual game species plus the giraffe, you'd be looking in your rear view mirror at $10,000 easy.

The one I could have taken was about 8 years ago and they offered it to me for $2,500. And it was a WHOPPER. Bigger than any I'd seen until that point, or since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
Adam said:
I would LOVE a zebra rug to go along with the kudu, gemsbok, nyala, and cape buffalo that I also hope to take some day...
In my opinion, zebra are one of the toughest animals over there. I would rank them right up there with gemsbok and blue wildebeast.
I can't imagine going to Africa and not shooting a kudu. I've been very fortunate and have gotten one every time I went and consider them to be the most magnificent animal there. To me, kudu, along with impala, are the symbols of Africa when it comes to plains game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,145 Posts
I'm a huge Peter Capstick fan (see my signature) and while he doesn't write much about hunting plains game, I couldn't imagine not hunting kudu either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,515 Posts
Adam said:
I'm a huge Peter Capstick fan (see my signature) and while he doesn't write much about hunting plains game, I couldn't imagine not hunting kudu either.
I have all of his books in hardcopy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,145 Posts
kudu58 said:
The last time went, I read "Death in the Long
Grass" on the flights. Capstick is a piece of work for sure.
LOL He is. I would've loved to have met him. He apparently has some videos somewhere. I'd like to see them.

loridr said:
I have all of his books in hardcopy. thumbs
I have right around half, probably more. My goal is to get all of them. As soon as I get one, I can't put it down and then I'm disappointed that I read it in 3 days and don't have more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
I remember I was out hunting with my Daughter under the mentor Program. We went to a gas station to get some drinks afterwards and a car load of punk kids drove buy and said "don't fricken kill anything". My Daughter looked at me and said "Daddy those were bad guys" Never bothered her too much. Wanted to chase them and give them a piece of my mind saying things when my Daughter was with me. She said, "Daddy, don't be like them." The nerve of some people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy Capstick and have many of his books. That said, a decade ago I found myself in Zimbabwe for reasons other than hunting. While there, I was befriended by a PH in Bulawayo who offered to take me out for the day on his personal little piece of property which turned out to be roughly 10,000 acres in size. During the course of the day, Capstick came up. I'll always remember his comment on those who've read Capstick's writings and come to Africa- "they all think there's a pizzed off Buffalo with murder in his eyes waiting to kill you behind every tree here!" I don't think he held him in very high regard...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,145 Posts
Marc Ret said:
I'll always remember his comment on those who've read Capstick's writings and come to Africa- "they all think there's a pizzed off Buffalo with murder in his eyes waiting to kill you behind every tree here!" I don't think he held him in very high regard...
I'm sure a lot of adventure seekers who take to his writing are like that. I just assumed after decades spent in the bush, he's seen some things. I've never had the impression your friend had, but can see why others would.

Africa seems like a wild, peaceful, beautiful place. I hope I make it to the dark continent one day...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
I never got the impression that people expected a buff behind every tree. In some areas, they are downright rare.
But I can assure you this for fact. When you do get even bluff charged by a buff, it WILL get your ticker pumping.

Even more so, get flat out charged by an elephant. Nothing strikes fear in me like an elephant. I don't care what anyone writes, the stuff happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,295 Posts
i heard that girl received death threats. if that is true, some law enforcement agency should be notified so the person making the threats can be found and charged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
If there were in fact death threats, I would be shocked if it were not looked into by the law. That's a shame for a 12 year old to endure that.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top