The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father lives in an area that is limited to the use of shotguns and muzzleloaders. I finally broke down and dedicated a Remington 870 to be a slug gun. I put a Mossburg rifled slug barrel on it, scope and custom thumbhole stock and fore end. Anyways, now I am looking at a slug round to shoot through it. I've shot 12 different loads through it now and all shoot about the same... So, I am looking for people's personal experience and advice on what slug loads they have liked. Particularly knock down power and accuracy as well, but so far all the loads I shot seemed to shoot about the same at a 50 yard target. I will have the ability to make 200 yard shots, so long range accuracy is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I shoot 3" Copper Solids out of my Super Slug 870. great shooting slugs, but no need for the 3". I've knocked them down at 10yds, and out past 100yds.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My Marlin 512P likes Hornady SST's, Copper solids work well also and should do well for you.No need for 3 inch. You can try drilling and tapping(extra fine thread) the Magazine tube 120 deg apart.This limits movement and has the potential to improve accuracy.Use Nomar allen hd screws .Caution this is a chore for Smith or a machinist.
Smage

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hornady SST's are great. You can go with 2-3/4" and have pretty much the same performance as 3" other brands. There was just a good article in American Hunter or Buckmasters that gave a lot of good slug information on 4 or 5 brands of slugs(velocity/energy/drop/etc.). Good luck! If you want a copy of the article PM me some contact info and I can fax or mail it to you.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
hornady sst's only drop 9.1" @ 200 yards. Remington copper solids drop 17" @ 150yards and drop to 27.8" @ 200 yards. To me the choice was easy. I went with hornadys.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i wouldnt shoot those sst's if somebody gave them to me. im not getting into an argument about them, ive seen how they perform first hand. they might fly nice and straight, but thats about all they are good for.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
brenneke K.0 3in sabots or winchester partition golds.

ssts are unethical and junk and a waste of money. yes you can shoot 200yds with them but they wont kill a deer. I know from first hand experince.

·
Registered
303 Posts
CJB you are going to need to experiment with a variety of slugs especially if you are going to shoot the off-the-shelf stuff. Each one shoots/prints a bit different in different guns. You will need to find the one that works best in your gun.

Two of my friends shoot the Hornady slug with excellent results.

I shoot a hand load Lyman slug in a Savage 210 and it will tear a ragged hole with three shots at 100 yards.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use plain old Winchester rifled slugs, 2 3/4 1OZ out of a Mossy 935 with a rifled barrel. I never could get those sabots rounds to group at all.

·
Registered
746 Posts
SSTs shoot the best out of my gun, but have heard bad things about their effectiveness on an animal. Hopefully I get to put em to the test this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts