The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a shotgun to shoot sabot slugs for deer. Want to get the Mossberg 500 combo. 12 ga is hands down a better performer when you compare the 2, but I already have 3 12 ga guns and 1 single shot 20 ga (my first gun) My question is, is a 20 ga good enough to kill a deer at 100 yds with a sabot slug, or should I just get a rifled slug barrel for my 12 ga? My buddy says go with the 12, but I'm thinking of having another gun.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd go with a 12ga. You can still justify buying a new gun if you purchase a dedicated slug gun w/ rifled barrel and scope.I have two 12 ga pumps and would love to add a slug gun to the mix, 12ga of course.
I see no reason to use less power.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Several recent articles I have read compare ballistics. 20ga actually rates better according to them. I personally have both, and prefer the 20, but the guns are very different (Moss 500 12 vs. NEF 20 Ultra Slug). No reason to feel handicapped with a 20ga slug, still a huge hunk of lead your throwing at them, plus less recoil.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just sold my 12ga 870. I will be buying a 20ga to replace it. It will be both my turkey & deer gun. The slug barrel will be in the 23"/24" range & have a cantilever scope mount so when I pull the barrel the scope goes with it. I'm not sure which brand it wil be but I'm looking at the 11/87 or a BPS. I've never had a semi-auto shotgun so I figure I'll get something different. My son took his first deer with a Mossberg 500 20ga. He had about a 70yrd shot & dropped it in its tracks. A 20ga works fine.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
More and more people are switching to the 20 gauge. The difference between the two is not what it once was.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a 20 GA Mossberg field/deer combo. @ 100 yds I can almost hit the same hole with the rifled barrel. I'd have a hard time imagining it not taking down anything I hit with it.

I prefer the 20 over the 12 when it comes to deer and small game (Rabbits, Squirrel). I've been tossing around the idea of getting a 12 GA for Pheasant, Dove and waterfowl but the 20GA does just fine so it's hard for me to justify the purchase

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
looks like velocity is higher with the 20ga and the energy is higher with a 12...lighter slug with the 20ga..

if you shoot a 3" 20ga slug, its dang near identical to a 12ga shooting 1oz slugs in 2 3/4 or 3" shells....

20ga typically makes for a lighter gun..easier to carry..other than that, flip a coin....

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Just think about the size of the slug...20 gauge is big..Why would you need a 12 gauge slug.

When shooting it in at your range you will appreciate the 20 gauge instead of shooting in the 12 gauge...

Down the road you might want to take a kid, women hunting..The 20 could be just the thing they could shoot comfortable..

Remember too...sabots.....they do cost a bit of money? Just want you to remember that too..Some...$14.00 to $17.00 for 5 shells.. Fine for hunting but when you want to sight it in$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I have a 20 gauge pump...Mossberg..I use the Foster slugs in it.. Grant you I don't try to kill things 100 yards with it.. However it could if you use the good sabots...I use mine in the deep woods 30 to 50 yard shots with cheap Foster slugs..
My 500 came with a field barrel too... Would like to shoot a few gray fox with that...See grays come right to your speaker so shooting with a 20 gauge is not half bad...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Either will be fine for deer. just find the right ammo. If your looking for an excuse to buy more guns look at it this way. You could buy a savage bolt action slug gun around for 400-450 dollars, or for about the same price as that pick up a used 12 gauge H&R and a 20 gauge H&R. Problem solved about picking 12 or 20 because you have both and you get two guns for about the price of one

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have the 12 gauge combo, and a friend of mine has the 20. They both shoot about the same, but his is far more enjoyable to shoot. It also weighs less too.

As far as recoil goess I would rate his in the same range as a 270 with 2 3/4" slugs. My 12 is the hardest kicking gun I have ever fired. I don't even care to shoot it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
As far as recoil goess I would rate his in the same range as a 270 with 2 3/4" slugs. My 12 is the hardest kicking gun I have ever fired. I don't even care to shoot it.
270's don't shoot slugs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts