The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had one of my most memorable grouse hunts to date with a memeber (Pheasants) of this forum this past weekend. We ended up with our 3 man limit, 6 grouse.

To top it off, we saw 2 bald eagles on the way in. Then on the way out, a bear. I missed seeing the bear unfortunately.

If I can figure out how to upload a pic, a pic of the day to follow.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll trade ya info on posting pics for gps coords??

Congrats on the grouse.

I use photobucket, make an account, upload pic, copy IMG code of pic, paste in txt box window of your new post you're creating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LostintheUplands,

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot. About as much info as I can give is that we hunted ANF. Haha, I know, helps you a ton right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, only bad thing of the day was I lost my remote for my ecollar in the first cut. At first I wasn't to concerned until I had to order a new one yesterday. Its the TT pro 100 transmitter. Holy cow was that expensive right before xmas. Haha...if u have this collar hold on tight to your remote. The replacement is 225 dollars. Luckily for me a few folks were wondering what i needed for xmas. Lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
NJP158, Congratulations on you and your Party's fantastic Hunt. Regret hearing you lost your e-collar transmitter, I can relate, tells me you were
hunting in cover that was just "So... Thick"!

3 limits of PA Grouse is something that just doesn't happen everyday and a memory to cherish for years to come. You Guy's shooting abilities could give Tom Nap reasons for concern.

I was wondering how many total finds "flushes" you Guys had during your hunt?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BirdChaser,

If you analyze the flush to bagged bird ratio, it was pretty unbelievable. At on point we had four birds bagged with 6 flushes. I didn't keep track of our total flushes, but I would guess somewhere around 12. Pheasants may be able to chime in here and give a more exact number. I know at least 2 flushes came after we were walking out with unloaded guns as we had reached our limit.

While that is great shooting, it is not the norm for me. I would guess my true average is less than 25% of the birds I flush. Probably more like 1 or 2 out of 10.

The amazing part is three guys shot at that level that day. It was just unbelievable. A huge factor that day was the dogs. They were on top of their game. Had a lot of really solid points that made the shooting easy. Not many bumped or wild flushes.

Also, I don't know if you read another post I had about weather or not to run with a bell/beeper. But I was undecided. All six of these second season birds came over dogs running with bells and beepers. It made me a believer. My dogs will now be running with bells and or beepers.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
NJP,
Congrats on a fine Grouse hunt, great stuff!
Pine Creek/Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts