The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fall I worked all the PSU home games for ESPN and used all but one vacation day for our trip to WY & CO ....so archery season was only a glimmer on the horizon. This past Monday I found out that my schedule was going to be open today.....so I got the bow out every morning and practiced shooting from 25-40 yards. Hit Wally World on the way to camp and picked up a new Flextone Doe Estrous bleat can (never had much faith in them but had given my old grunt tube to the grandaughter after we called in her 1st deer last year). Anyways, I didn't see anything early in the rain & fog but was determined to stick out the afternoon in stand on an Oak laden shelf on the back ridge at camp. Got in the stand at 11:46am, ranged a few trees in some possible shooting lanes and settled in. At 12:05 I hit the bleat can three times without much hope of sucess as it was 56 degrees and getting warmer. I was stunned to see a big rack coming down the ridge a few minutes later. The buck slowly walked through an opening I'd earlier ranged at 35yds giving me a nice broadside shot. I settled the 40yd pin on his shoulder crease and touched my release. The shot hit mid-rib cage and he ran about 75 yds then took a few slow steps into some laurel.It was 12:11pm so I quietly backed out and headed to camp to locate "Lycosetter" who was there chasing grouse with his dogs. He put his dogs away and we waited until 2:30pm to head back and look for the buck. We quickly found him as he'd actually bedded down where I'd last seem him but then regained his feet and headed 50yds back toward the stand before collasping. Thought I was nuts to buy my license for 1 day of hunting but so Thankful I did !!!
*20" spread 10pts and my best bow harvest yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Congrats.....

It's so cool, that your very limited time was rewarded so quickly w/ a very nice buck...</span>

1 - 20 of 31 Posts