The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story starts 3 weeks ago, my father inlaw and I were out scouting and noticed a well tore up side hill, we spotted a few doe and what appeared to be a buck, I sat 2 days a week on the same side hill my father inlaw walked the side to try and spook up something, 2 times I had a nice 8 point come at 80 yards couldn't really get a good view of him, we spent many hours and many days on this sidehill, Wednesday the 8th I was in my stand and 3 crossbow hunters decided to take a walk right through my spot, not a good day. I knew they saw the signs of this buck and I knew I was running out of time, the next day my father in law walked the side while I sat on top of the hill, I heard something coming and coming fast, all of a sudden this monster came breaking out of the thick laurel, I grunted once he stopped about 45 yards, I drew back, he looked right at me grunted back at me, I knew I had 1 and only 1 shot and I needed to take it, I ranged 43 yards dead facing me, I hit my release and it was like slow motion the arrow hit dead bullseye in his brisket, he jumped back then fell, he got up as he heard my father in law, he bolted down the side hill, I went where I saw him last and sure enough blood everywhere, my father inlaw came up mad as a hornet thinking the buck had eluded me again and ran around me, I told him to look down he saw all the blood and he went crazy,high fiving me and hugging me, we started tracking, it was getting dark so my father in law went to the truck to get his flashlight, I continued to track, I followed a blood trail for 200 yards, then while inside a mess of laurel and jagger bushes this buck jumped up 15 yards in front of me, he Grunted at me and dropped his head to charge, I went to retreat and got caught in the laurel I fell to the ground, the buck got his right side antlers caught in laurel not more than 10 yards in front of me I reached for my knife and I forgot that I left it in the truck, I thought I was dead, the buck grunted one more time so fiercly and dropped to his chest, he came up a few more times then finally collapsed at that moment I knew I had gotten the buck of my dreams, my father inlaw came running as he heard me yelling that the buck was charging me, he was in utter shock when he finally laid eyes on the buck we have been busting our butts trying to get. this my friends is what turns hunters into hunters. while gutting the buck I seen where my arrow had entered and it went straight through his brisket to cutting his heart in half and he still ran as far as he did one word intense. This was my first archery buck kill, he is a a 8 point with 9" G2s and G3s, pics coming soon as I figure out how to upload them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts