The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a 3 month old baby at home, I haven't been in the woods much this year. I finally got the opportunity to take a vacation day to hunt all day on Monday. I had been doing a lot of reading on here, and knew it would be a good day. Not long after first light I had a doe walk out at 40 yards. She didn't stick around long, and kept looking behind her, so I knew something was up. Sure enough the first buck of the day was right on her trail, and chased her out of site. Not much later, he was back chasing a group of 3 or 4 does. He ultimately chased them out of site. What seemed like a few minutes later, I heard something behind me. I turned around to see this guy walking right down the trail I came in on. I think he was coming to see what the commotion was all about. Rather than taking the trail right to my tree, he veered off to the right into the brush. He stopped briefly so I had a chance to look him over. As soon as I saw he had a droptine I knew I couldn't pass him up since I've never seen one live. I ended up stopping him in a shooting lane at 19 yards and let one fly. My arrow went right where I steadied my pin and ended up burying in a branch. Needless to say my equipment did its job. He only made it 15 yards. He's not the biggest deer in those woods, but I am definitely happy with him. Especially with the little time I've been able to spend in the woods. What's cool is I shot a buck two years ago out of the same stand that expired no more than 5 yards where this guy did.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Drop tine. very cool. Sounds like you got a "money" stand. That's really convenient when you dont have a lot of time to hunt.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Congrats on a great buck. and the little one at home.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Good deal-Congrats
Another nice PA buck for 2012!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts