The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11/21 NY southern zone opens...whose going?? I'm like a kid before X-mas. Last year DEC reduced NR license back to $100 from $140, pretty reasonable and you can hunt Sunday's....imagine that.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
You can also hunt bears and coyotes and small game on that license now. Used to just be deer.

I'm not hunting in NY this year. I have the last three.

Good luck and be safe!

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Freytown said:
Jason are you sure about small game? I'll have to look that up.
You are correct about small game. Muzzleloader($30), archery($30), and doe permit($10), look like the only extra fees. Thxs for the tip.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I made sure to check it out before I posted. Didn't want to be the minister of misinformation!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
You also still need a turkey permit to hunt those....non-res $20.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Oh, and you can hunt furbearers on your hunting license. Some exceptions for bobcats (free permit) in the southern zone.

It's all right here:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/95492.html

If I had a decent place to hunt up there I'd hunt it. I was on a lease that, for me, wasn't worth the cost. Too many guys and thusly not enough quality places to hunt on it, IMO.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am heading up with 2 friends for three days sat-mon. This will be our first trip up. Looking forward to it. Am I reading the regs correctly that you do not need fluorescent orange in the firearm season? I am floored if that is the case. We will be on public ground so I will sporting at least an orange hat at all times anyhow...looking forward to it.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
You are correct. No orange requirement. Do as you wish, but I HIGHLY recommend wearing at least an orange hat (as you suggested).

In my experience it's a lot like the old days of PA.....WAR ZONE!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Also semi's are legal.....and you'll find out real quick how long it takes to empty the allowed 5 rounds from and AR!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Yes sir, I will be there. My camp is in Allegany county. Saturday opener, and you can hunt Sundays. Some states have been able to leave the stone ages...

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I haven't seen the war zone, as described above, and I hunt a lot of public land. Most shots I have heard were all singles. Even when the Amish are driving out the state land, it is usually just one, maybe two shots. I will say that they are very unsafe in Turkey season up there, and love to belly crawl to decoys. Ibdojt know why anyone would not wear orange during any gun deer season.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
It's not a war zone on the property I hunt, but it is on adjacent properties. We used to get some nice bucks, but now we are seeing only yearlings sporting their first antlers. I'm guessing the hunters on neighboring properties are killing the young deer so we aren't getting any maturity on them.

Not really looking forward to New York this year.

Steve.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Everyday Hunter said:
It's not a war zone on the property I hunt, but it is on adjacent properties. We used to get some nice bucks, but now we are seeing only yearlings sporting their first antlers. I'm guessing the hunters on neighboring properties are killing the young deer so we aren't getting any maturity on them.

Not really looking forward to New York this year.

Steve.
its a carbon copy of what pa once was. they wont shoot many doe but the first fork horn that runs by gets leveled. the age class of bucks stays low when all they need is a visible antler.

·
Registered
701 Posts
We hunted state land around west almond for years I miss the shotgun season only we killed a lot bigger bucks then. You'll be surprised how many guys do not wear orange.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are AR restrictions in some WMU near the Wayne county border which I hunt. I never been in a "war zone" but I guess if too many hunter gather in a given area it might happen.

FLO Orange is not mandatory but I rarely see deer hunters without it. I also find most fellow hunters no different than hunters in PA, heck they even have two legs, arms and eyes. LOL

Good luck to all going. FT

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good luck guys, heading to hunt NY & PA. Thanksgiving day. Staying in Wellsville NY. My 35th trip from Calif.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All doe yesterday (no doe permit), church today and back at it tomorrow. It was a beautiful day...could have been colder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts