The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always envy the guys on here that seem to have rabbits hopping under every brush pile they kick, and always wish it was that way around my area. It never usually is...except for yesterday! I had a ton of fun with a few of my buddies and my old man (who couldn't hit anything). The dogs ran from the time we dropped them off the tailgate til the time I pulled them outta the brush. We stopped hunting around 2 as it got pretty warm. 8 on the tailgate, the best day I've ever had behind my own dogs.

This is what all of the dog screens looked like by the end of the hunt. 17 miles ran. They rested well. (thats a screenshot off my garmin so thats why its small I guess)

·
Banned
437 Posts
man,i am glad last week i added your dogs to my garmin,with those antennas from that place john told me aout i was able to track your hounds and find that spot,i cant wait to cut loose there monday,wednesday thursday and try and shoot it out of life lol
nice hunt/shooting
was there any shot due to wiggle/flight------

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
madcatter said:
man,i am glad last week i added your dogs to my garmin,with those antennas from that place john told me aout i was able to track your hounds and find that spot,i cant wait to cut loose there monday,wednesday thursday and try and shoot it out of life lol
nice hunt/shooting
was there any shot due to wiggle/flight------
Haha. Good thing I still have my stock antennas on my collars, you wouldn't be able to track them from more than 50 yards away with that 220!!

I bagged 3 with my contender, I missed a couple gimme shots. I really wanted to get my limit, I've never done that before. It just got too hot once that sun came out around noon, totally drained the dogs.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That is a great day! I've got troubles in my strippins. I had 6 hounds on the ground, they each had between 8-9 miles in 5 different spots and did not get one jump...HPA hunt is not going to be very much fun there this year...

·
Registered
24,760 Posts
We had 5 on the ground on Sat and the bunnies did not come easily... Dogs did OK and shooters were two for two...but the rabbits in numbers were not to be found...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Andy Purnell said:
That is a great day! I've got troubles in my strippins. I had 6 hounds on the ground, they each had between 8-9 miles in 5 different spots and did not get one jump...HPA hunt is not going to be very much fun there this year...
You thinking yotes Andy? Or is it getting hit by other hunters? Better start trapping out there. I had a pack of them come in on my female last week. Luckily I got out of that one unscathed. I am trying to track down a trapper to get in this spot and start getting predators. There is a lot in there.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Shayne, there's always been a lot of predators out there, I think it has more to do with cover. The pines are getting pretty big and wide open, they did cut a lot of hardwoods that you guys saw last year and it hasn't grown enough to be good yet. I do believe that there are some guys that have been hunting it as well...I'm not mobile enough to get into some of the better spots, so it may have been a bad day also. I haven't run at all out there since last Spring, so I don't know how babies were over summer. I will say that there are deer tracks everywhere tho. I'll check again I have seen times where they seem to be all in one spot till we break 'em up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts