The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairview Hunting Club just celebrated its 100 year anniversary. Located West of Blain and New Germantown in Perry County. In 1919 a few hunters got permission to gather at an old farm house near Shermans Creek. The house and a few out buildings were owned by two of those hunters' father. A group of young men gathered primarily for small game, deer were scarce. The hunters gathered here for a number of years. Eventually the property was sold to the state and is now part of Tuscarora State Forest. The hunters, all locals, were now organized and bought a one-room school house, Fairview school. It is located West of Germantown on 274.

In 1942 the hunters were organized with by-laws and constitution and many of the original hunters from 1919 were members and some were officers. Membership was limited to 30. Historically the camp members were local residents of western Perry County, many were farmers and landowners and local business men. In the early years they put on drives all over that end of Perry County. By the time I started hunting most hunters were now hunting on members property including Bower's, Rohm's and Wilt's which was a large part of the mountain to the north of 274 just west of Blain. Anyone who drove by Camp Fairview also known as the Blain camp in the 70's and 80's can attest to the full meat pole.

Many families have now had several generations become members. My son is 28 and is a fourth generation member. We have phenomenal meals throughout the year. Many members still sleep over a few nights in deer season. We continue to have a strong local membership. Of course some of latest generation have spread out across the state and a few members live outside of PA.

We had a large celebration this past Sunday with approximately 60 people present. We are all hoping Fairview Hunting Club can make it another 100 years.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Nice story...My Pappy started our lease in 1927, 8 years to go.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Congratulations on the centennial anniversary of your hunting camp. The camp I am a member of is this year celebrating it's 65th anniversary. We have a ways to go before we hit 100.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
Outstanding, congrats on your camps success!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
One camp was 100 a year ago, other one will be 100 in 9 more years was started in 1928....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts