The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a cool photo from the ATA show. This is the President of Tenpoint Crossbows demonstrating the drop of an arrow from a 440fps crossbow at 100 yards. While some advertise shooting extreme distances, this photo illustrates just how much room for error exists even with the fastest bows.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
It is an interesting photo, but in the end it doesn't mean squat. As soon as people start seeing the "professional" hunters on tv taking 100 yard shots like they do, and as soon as crossbow advertising starts talking about 100 yard shots with crossbows, then people will be out there attempting it. The image shown here will just be lost on some folks.

30 yards is my personal max also. And actually, since I've switched over to an X-bow my average shot taken has decreased in distance. Of the last 5 bucks that I have gotten, not one has been beyond 15 yards. In fact, I am probably one of the few dinosaurs out there who still shoots aluminum bolts out of mine. I just don't care about range, want the extra weight for penetration and extra weight for less stress on the limbs.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
This is good to see. I cringe every time I see one of those Ravin crossbow commercials. I get that they're trying to sell bows, but marketing it as a 100 yard weapon is just plain wrong IMO. 50-60yards if you're proficient, fine I can live with that, but 100...no way.

For me this is another one of those hunting debate things...can it be done? sure Should it be done? No

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Personally, I have issue with people even taking 50 yard shots. That is a long time for an arrow to be in flight and heading toward a living creature. 100 things can happen in that time and 99 of them are bad. Not fair to the animals to be doing that kind of nonsense. As hunters ,we are obligated to make fair and ethical, clean kills. Not take risky shots that are probably more than 50/50 to end up bad.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
You do know there are plenty of 100 yd plus, compound bow shot videos on YouTube. So I don't think the notion is exclusive to cross bows.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As has been mentioned, it's not the drop, it's the time it takes to get there that is the issue. My 300 win mag drops that much at approximately 500 yds. It only takes half a second to get there, though. If the weapon is accurate and you know the distance and drop, the distance matters little. It is wind and what the animal can do in the time it takes the projectile to get there that count. I'd rather the rifle at 500 than any bow at even 50.

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
great example to show people.

I wonder if all the people who are against crossbows or bows in general shooting that far have issues with rifles at 1000+???? just curious

·
Super Moderator
12,508 Posts
It is an interesting photo, but in the end it doesn't mean squat. As soon as people start seeing the "professional" hunters on tv taking 100 yard shots like they do, and as soon as crossbow advertising starts talking about 100 yard shots with crossbows, then people will be out there attempting it. The image shown here will just be lost on some folks.

30 yards is my personal max also. And actually, since I've switched over to an X-bow my average shot taken has decreased in distance. Of the last 5 bucks that I have gotten, not one has been beyond 15 yards. In fact, I am probably one of the few dinosaurs out there who still shoots aluminum bolts out of mine. I just don't care about range, want the extra weight for penetration and extra weight for less stress on the limbs.
Add me to the dinosaurs list, still shooting aluminum with the same success it has provided for many years.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I guess I am the odd man out here. To limit ones shot based simply on a distance is somewhat bizarre. The shot must take into account the critical aspects of your weapon, your skill and training, and your environment. To say that you are perplexed by someone shooting in excess of (name your distance) is a bit short sighted IMO. Although I am not there right now because of a lack of recent practice, but when I am properly prepared, I have no problem taking a 50 yard compound bow shot, if I decide there is a reasonable and acceptable chance of success based on the factors mentioned above. I don't take that decision lightly and I expect 1 round/arrow results in 1 kill. Never shot a xbow so maybe they are different, pleading ignorance with that weapon.

Having said that, xbow manufacturers have to hold themselves accountable for perceptions in that community. I saw an add in a popular hunting magazine a few days ago that read "want a new rifle - buy the "XYZ xbow". Sounds like they are building false expectations

Be safe and be well.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I am the odd man out here. To limit ones shot based simply on a distance is somewhat bizarre. The shot must take into account the critical aspects of your weapon, your skill and training, and your environment. To say that you are perplexed by someone shooting in excess of (name your distance) is a bit short sighted IMO. Although I am not there right now because of a lack of recent practice, but when I am properly prepared, I have no problem taking a 50 yard compound bow shot, if I decide there is a reasonable and acceptable chance of success based on the factors mentioned above. I don't take that decision lightly and I expect 1 round/arrow results in 1 kill. Never shot a xbow so maybe they are different, pleading ignorance with that weapon.
Yep. I respect everyone's decision to shoot as far as they feel comfortable shooting with any weapon. Someone that is well practiced at very long ranges can place their bullet or arrow better than many folks taking shorter shots that don't practice. All we can ask is that the shooter feel confident that when they loose and arrow, it will impact where they want it to.

All the photo demonstrates is while some of these bows are very fast, shooting long range is not to be taken lightly. I have a self imposed limit based on my practice and abilities. I hope that others have their own limits based upon their practice and abilities.

Having said that, xbow manufacturers have to hold themselves accountable for perceptions in that community. I saw an add in a popular hunting magazine a few days ago that read "want a new rifle - buy the "XYZ xbow". Sounds like they are building false expectations
Exactly. Most of the crossbow community and the majority of manufacturers are not too happy with the marketing strategy of a few manufacturers. This photo was taken to illustrate and make a point that crossbows are not rifles.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I practice out to 65 yards with my compound quite a bit. I'm comfortable shooting at that range. It's not the well practiced shooter that we need to worry about here, it is the animal. Whitetails tend to move when they hear an arrow loosed. When the range becomes extended, they have enough time to cause you issues. I won't go as far as saying it is always unethical to shoot at a deer at 50 yards but there is a lot more that factors into it than the shooter's skill.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Doing a little bit of web searching to look at crossbow data, I came across bestcrossbowsource.com . From that home page, select "Crossbow Academy", located on the top bar. Has some interesting test data that goes hand in hand with the photo that was in the initial posting for this discussion. Enjoy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The new compact xbows from ten point and ravin are the new game changers...almost makes me want to get one and “still” hunt in archery season...having one would definite change the way I would hunt ......pretty awesome machines ”...when is the speed of these things goin to max out? You see compounds haven’t changed much in the last 5 years....

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
great example to show people.

I wonder if all the people who are against crossbows or bows in general shooting that far have issues with rifles at 1000+???? just curious
Yes I do.
Guess we can go hunting together.
I wouldn't shoot a crossbow 100 yards, I don't know what distance I would since I use a regular bow. But I will shoot with a rifle at anything under 2000.
In fairness it's about tools, skill, practice and ability.
Sad but I shoot a better group at say 1000 than a large portion of archers at 20. Instead of always using distance as the regulatory factor we need to look at the hunters themselves.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts