The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
I’ve been using 3 blade Spitfires for over 20 years. Used them with X bow since 2009. I now buy the stiffer x-bow version they now make, to prevent in- flight opening. I like them because in over 40 deer I shot with them, I never found evidence of non deployment, had good blood trails, and never had a broken blade. A few were bent, but not broken.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have been using gators for years. have shot many with them out of tenpoint crossbows. they are sold at bass pro. formerly made by rocky mountain.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have tried a few different ones in my Excalibur but my favorite by far is the NAP spitfire XXX. The blades are very durable and always open when they are supposed to

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
I used Rage 2+" cut crossbow hypodermics this year.The entrance and exit wound were in a word very large.It hit the knee joint and the arrow almost bounced back out of the entrance hole.It sounded like hitting a tree with a sledgehammer.No damage and the blades appeared to be sharp enough to reuse but I would use a new one for another deer.I bought them on ebay for $20 shipped to my house.3 pack with a practice blade.They were around $50 at local stores and other online stores.If I can find more at that price I will buy them.They were not the Chinese knockoffs sold on there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rage 100 gr. hands down. There are 4 of us that hunt together all the time, all use 100 gr RAGE. Never lost a deer with this broadhead. even on a bad hit, always a lot of blood to track the animal and recover. On good placed shots, down in 40 yd or less. And not that we take a bad shot but sometimes it happens, stick you dont see or other uncontrolled reasons. ( 2 BLADE ) 2" cuts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used Rage 2+" cut crossbow hypodermics this year.The entrance and exit wound were in a word very large.It hit the knee joint and the arrow almost bounced back out of the entrance hole.It sounded like hitting a tree with a sledgehammer.No damage and the blades appeared to be sharp enough to reuse but I would use a new one for another deer.I bought them on ebay for $20 shipped to my house.3 pack with a practice blade.They were around $50 at local stores and other online stores.If I can find more at that price I will buy them.They were not the Chinese knockoffs sold on there.
It's to bad them Rage broadheads cost so much I've seen a lot of good reviews on them. I'm considering if it's worth the extra $15 to $20 for them and I suppose it is, unless I can find a nice deal like yours. I've used Scwhaker broadheads in the past but most times I had to sharpen them as they came dull right out of the package.
Also considering the NAP broadheads, in the past I've used NAP Thunderhead fixed blades with good results out of my compound bow.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It's to bad them Rage broadheads cost so much I've seen a lot of good reviews on them. I'm considering if it's worth the extra $15 to $20 for them and I suppose it is, unless I can find a nice deal like yours. I've used Scwhaker broadheads in the past but most times I had to sharpen them as they came dull right out of the package.
Also considering the NAP broadheads, in the past I've used NAP Thunderhead fixed blades with good results out of my compound bow.
I bought some of the Chinese Rage Hypodermics off eBay and they seem just as well made to me.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
although I don't use them I have friends who use crossbow Swhacker broad head.. they swear by them devastating wounds from what they tell me... and like the above comment those too are made by china knock offs' but from the reviews they preform just as well with the fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I use 100 Grain Rage Crossbow X (2" cut) two-blades...

The good:

They fly true.

I've never had a head open in flight.

They've performed very well on game.

The not so good:

I use the blue shock collars and every now and then I've snapped the shock collars pushing the bolts into the foam padding in my quiver.

They're not as durable as I'd like.

The replacement blades cost nearly as much as the heads themselves.

Why I use them:

The good outweighs the not so good.

I used to use G5 heads that had the spider clip retention system and that was a joke, and the blades didn't provide wound channels the gave good blood trails.

My Mission MXB 360 has a design that limits the cutting diameter of any fixed broad heads that I could use to 1-1/16". I mention this because as a vertical bow shooter I always preferred fixed heads and had bad experiences with mechanical heads. I'd prefer fixed heads, but there's not much out there that I can shoot with the design limitations of my crossbow. That being said, the Rage's perform well enough that I've not looked for fixed head options recently. I also would have some concern about fixed heads flying well at the 352 feet per second that I'm shooting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes , I have .They leave a blood trail that a blind man could follow. I also do not change blades after use. I just use a new mechanical. I used to use 3 blade rocket Hammerheads and I double banded them , but they are hard to find .

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ones I bought are on ebay right now for $25 shipped.
I was on there earlier and if ya don't have Prime, which I don't, the cost with shipping and tax comes to $37 and change. Haha So that's about what I can buy them for at my local sports store. Thanks for checking that though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts